We live in a little coastal village called Woy Woy on the NSW Central Coast just north of Sydney

Default Southwest USA from Australia

G'day, This is Ray, from Sydney, Australia. My friend Di and I are planning a 4 week trip to USA Sept/Oct 2011. We plan to base ourselves at an old school friend's home near Lake Mead, Ar., but plan to stay at different places, depending on distance. We will have a rental car for the period, flying into Las Vegas. We are folk who love to see new things and are keen to visit Grand Canyon, National Parks, deserts and hopefully autumn colours (colors?). We don't live in an area with major autumn colour changes.

We have recently returned from 5 weeks driving around the lower half of Western Australia (WA) (3,000 miles) chasing and photographing the amazing spring wild flowers found only in WA, nowhere else in world. Last year we drove 5,000 miles round trip to Flinders Ranges in Sth Australia, via Mungo NP, where scientists tell us Aboriginals have been in residence for the last 40,000 yrs.

Some folk get a bit of a surprise when they learn Australia is a little larger in area than the USA. Di is a very keen photographer and I am the "photographer's lackey". We are in our early 60's. I recently found this site and just starting to plan the trip. (One of my favourite jobs).

Are there special points of interest that an "overseas" person "must" see. We will cover Arizona, New Mexico, possibly southern California. Are there any school vacations/holidays in this period? Any thoughts will be gratefully received and researched. Thanks.

South of England.

Default Sooooooo much !

G'day Ray, welcome to the RTA forums !

Sept/Oct is a great time to visit these parts, the colour and light is great for photography, the temps are good [not too hot in the desert, not too cold at higher elevation] and best of all, the crowds are dwindling.

We don't do "must sees" around here as the road trip is an individual thing and one persons pleasure could be another's poison, so you really need to look around the forums and road trip planning pages with a good map to hand and see what appeals to you. Just between me and you though, there are thousands of them, if not more around here ! ;-) Much will depend on whether you want the odd night 'here and there' away from your friends home, or if you will take an extended road trip from there !

You have some great National parks in Southern Utah such as Zion and Bryce canyon and also Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands a little further afield. In California are the NP's of Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings canyon and Death valley. In Arizona, as well as the Grand canyon there are the likes Petrified forest and Canyon De Chelley plus the famous Monument valley. A little further afield in Colorado you will find Mesa Verde and Black canyon of the Gunnison, while in between is the "Million dollar highway" that run's through the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray with Golden Aspens on display in there Fall glory.

This really is just skipping across some of the popular places and there is plenty more options available, so do a little research and come back as and when new questions arise and/or you have more detail to share.

Enjoy the planning !