1. Default Limited funds, free to travel from December 20 - January 20.

I am a 20 year old college student and did a lot of traveling around Europe this summer using busses and trains. I had a great time and it made me realize how enormous the U.S. is and how little of it I've seen! I've pretty much stuck to the East Coast most of my life, though I've been to Colorado and Washington.

I have an entire month free from December 20th - January 20th. I would love to travel pretty much anywhere in the U.S., preferably in a more westerly direction. I have a car I can use. Considering gas prices, would taking a car still be cheaper than if I took busses everywhere or even flew out and took busses around?

I have a limited budget, $1000 at absolute max.
    My options for my starting point are New Jersey or Colorado, though I wouldn't have a car in Colorado.

Any suggestions of places I could go and ways to cope with a limited budget? I couch-surfed this summer to much success (met some really terrific people) and I am thinking that I could do that again. Are there any places that I should really avoid because of icy, dangerous road conditions? My car is not a huge 4 wheel drive SUV.

Also does anyone know of any kind of ride-share website in the U.S.? I used a great website in Germany this summer called mitfahrgelegenheit that helped me find people traveling to the same place that I wanted to go who would take me along for a fraction of the price of a train ticket - a safer, elevated (more expensive) form of hitchhiking. I saved hundreds of Euros and traveled a lot. Does this type of thing exist in the U.S.?

Thanks for any help!

South of England.

Default Own transport.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

If you want to explore some of the US and you have your own transport, I can't think of a better way to travel then to use it, both for convenience and financial reasons. The good thing also on a limited budget is that once the pot is getting low it is simply time to turn around and head home. You will need to keep some funds for an emergency and it might be wise to join a breakdown organization.

If you are happy to Couch surf then it is certainly a good option, especially at this time of year when it is cold for camping.

Nobody can predict the weather but at this time of year you will certainly see winter weather, with an open plan you can simply keep informed and make decisions as you go, staying put if needed. Interstates are a priority to keep clear and open so travelling will be fine, heading off the main highway's will have to be decided upon as you go.

Have a look around the forums and the road trip routes above to help you decide where you might want to head, there are a lot of options.

There are some links to ride share boards here and you could also put a notice up in that forum.