1. Default East Coast road trip in early October!

Hello all!

I am from Illinois. I'm a new poster here. I found this website by googling "road trip tips". I'm so glad I found it! Tons of great info here!

Hubby and I are going on a road trip in early October and since this is the longest road trip we've ever taken, we need a ton of help and advice. :-) We are total newbies when it comes to road tripping. Hubby has taken a few trips out to the East coast from Chicago but the longest I've been in a car is 6 or 7 hours so... it's going to be interesting. We do plan to take plenty of breaks and to drive only during the day. We don't plan to be on the road for more than 8 hours at a time. We are so excited!

Anyway, my question for you readers is not really about the road or the driving but it's about staying in hotels. So as you might have heard there is a bed bug scare going on right now. Well we are going to be on and off the road for 8 days. In those 8 days we'll be staying at 5 different hotels. I am very concerned that we might run into these little guys. Now I've read just about every article online about bed bugs... how they look, how to find them, how to kill them, etc etc... But I guess my question to you is should I be paranoid? (I'm already planning on checking the room out before we even put our things down.)

So, yes, in all your travels, have bed bugs ever ruined your trip? Any tips you have for us in avoiding these buggers?

Thank you in advance for your advice. :-)

South of England.

Default Be cautious, don't worry.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It would appear that you probably know more about bed bugs than us lot put together ! It's something I have not thought about or come across in my travels. I have heard it is more of a problem in Hostels, where people carry there own bedding/sleeping bags and could transfer the little blighters, but even then I don't think it is a major issue.

In answer to your question, No, I don't think you should be paranoid, nor let it become a major concern while possibly taking some of the enjoyment of your trip away. If you are staying in a clean, respectable place where the bed linen etc is [should be] changed on a daily basis, I would think there is little to worry about. If you are still feeling a little paranoid and want to put your mind at rest, then you could purchase a bed bug sheet that will go between the mattress and clean linen.

Green County, Wisconsin

I really think you are worrying too much and are probably spending a little too much time watching tv and getting worked up about the issue. Much like bird flu, swine flu, sars, etc this really seems like the issue of the week that gets a lot of attention more because its a little unusual and can generate a big headline that's far worse than the actual problem.

Yes while it is possible that you'll have a bed bug issue, I really don't think its likely. The one problem is that the critters aren't limited to just dirty places, as even some high end hotels have had issues with them. It really goes on the list of things you don't have much control over so I don't think it makes much sense to spend much time worrying about it.

4. Default

Southwest Dave - Thank you for your kind words!

Midwest Michael - Yes, I might be too worried at this point. :-) I will take care to watch out for them but in no way will I let them ruin my trip! Thank you!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Stay aware

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToWander View Post
    So, yes, in all your travels, have bed bugs ever ruined your trip? Any tips you have for us in avoiding these buggers?
    This has happened to me a few times; 2002 was my introduction to these worthless beings (it was extremely bad); 2006 I encountered them again, but recovered more quickly (it was nowhere near as bad as 2002); about a month ago I saw evidence in what was going to be my hotel room, so I moved on to another place.

There really isn't a rhyme or reason to these things - you can find them in the cleanest place on the planet or the dirtiest - but keeping your eyes open is always a good idea. Apart from searching around the mattress for evidence, such as brown "rust" stains on a mattress (it's not rust - it's fecal matter from the bugs,) remember to keep your luggage on the luggage racks provided in the room and to keep your bags closed when your not digging through them.

I'm a bit more defensive about this than the others here, but if I could show you a picture of what I looked like after my 2002 Grand Canyon trip, you'd understand.

It's like any other problem - crime, accidents, getting ill, etc. - and instead of letting the concern permeate every waking moment, address the situation when needed and then take the proper action. The fact that you are even asking this question shows that you will be in good shape to enjoy your trip.

6. Default

Mass Tim - Words to live by. Thank you very much. You've eased my mind. :-)

7. Default

It's true that bed bug infestation is in general on the rise, but hopefully not epidemic as yet:)
    I came across this website recently <>, can't speak for its legitimacy or accuracy, but you can look up places you intend to stay at to see if any reports of bed bugs have been filed.

(Mass Tim, as a matter of interest, seeing as I'll be there soon, can you give us a hint about lodging we should probably avoid in the Grand Canyon area? Ta)

8. Default Love that site

Corkonians - Actually I've been to as you suggested! It's a cool site. Yeah who knows about the accuracy but it's better than nothing. Thank you!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Corkonians View Post
    (Mass Tim, as a matter of interest, seeing as I'll be there soon, can you give us a hint about lodging we should probably avoid in the Grand Canyon area? Ta)
    There are a few things working against my saying anything. First, we're not sure where along our trip we first came into contact. We moved through several different lodging scenarios. The most likely culprits were camping cabins near Glendale, Utah or Williams, Arizona, or a hotel in Terre Haute, Indiana. However, that was 8 years ago and I cannot speak for the conditions in those places at present.