Default 1 of 2 Threads: 2 - 3 days to Birmingham AL September 2011

Hi all, new member from Australia, just planning my holidays for 2011. I would like to be end up near Birmingham AL (Steele to be precise) for Labor Day Weekend 2011.

Im quite happy to take 2 to 3 days to get there, mostly interested in casual relaxed driving with plenty of stops to sight see, say hi to other travellers and locals.

Was thinking of starting out in either Atlanta, Memphis or Nashville.
    Any Ideas or suggestions for an interesting drive would be great because at this early stage of my planning can do just about anything.

NB: Thread 2 involves a 5 day trip from Palm Springs to the Nappa Valley.

Default 2 of 2 threads: Palm Springs CA to Napa Valley (Guerneville) in 5 Days

Hi again as part of the same holiday planning in thread 1, I am also planning to pick up a car in San Diego September 2011 and driving to Palm Springs for a 5 day stay (I already have some good ideas from this site for that trip, but any others are also welcome).

My main issue is that I have 5 days free to get from Palm Springs to Guerneville, Las Vegas is not really my thing and I would like to avoid going any where near or remotely related to Los Angeles at any possible costs!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for an interesting yet relaxing route to tak for a sightseer and tourist experiencing his first USA experience.

Cheers, Ross.

Mod note] Please keep all questions about the same trip in the one thread, thanks !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-25-2010 at 12:38 AM.

South of England.

Default The "bigger" picture.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It is difficult to give meaningful advice when we only have 'bits and pieces' of your whole trip to go on and not knowing what "good idea's" you have so far, especially as we know nothing of your interests. With 3 days to get to Birmingham you would have time to visit all 3 of your possible starting points [Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta] as Memphis to Birmingham is the longest of the 3 options and would be less than a 5 hour drive.

From Palm Springs to Guerneville could be driven in a day, with 5 you have plenty of time to do some exploring. The 2 "stand out" choices would be the coastal highway around Big Sur to San Fran, or an inland route that could include Death valley, Mammoth lakes, Yosemite NP, and Tahoe travelling up the Eastern side of the Sierra's, or the Western side you could opt for Kings canyon/Sequoia NP to Yosemite and on. You also have time to do a little 'mix and matching' of the above mentioned places, but for now I would break open a good map of the US, keep looking around the forums and then share with us what you have come up with. [In this thread] We can then help to "fine tune" your trip and your suggestions to help get the best possible from it.

Enjoy the planning !