1. Default California to New Jersey

Hello. I'm new to the site and I hope someone can give me advice on this trip. I'm moving out of California to New Jersey this first week of November. I'm planning to take the south route and see some nice places also. I definitely want to stop at Grand Canyon but is it worth it to do a side trip to Hoover dam by taking I-15 first instead of going straight to GC? Also, is I-40 a safe place to drive for a lone female driver? Any suggestions on places to see and to stay along I-40? Also for I-81? Any help is appreciated.

Default How long ?

Hello and welcome to the RRA forums !

Only you can decide if a side trip to Hoover dam is worth it or not, and just as importantly, if you have the time to do so. It will most likely be too early to be one of the first to cross the new bridge at the Dam but it would give you the chance to see it in a [almost?] completed state.

I 40/81 is as safe as any other Interstate in the Country and the real safety issue is set firmly with the driver and having the time to complete the drive without pushing too far and too quickly, making it a relaxed affair. You don't say exactly where you are starting from, but from Grand canyon you will realistically need 5 day's to complete your journey, including a few hours at GC. From GC your stops for a 5 day journey could be around Albuquerque, Oklahoma, Jackson TN, and Roanoke VA.

3. Default Coming from L.A. area

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, I will be starting my journey around the L.A. area. I'm planning to leave early morning (5am?) to escape the LA traffic a little bit. So is it doable to take the Hoover dam side trip before hitting the GC on the same day? I've actually done some long road trip before by myself but this far would the longest. Is there any place between Albuquerque,NM and Amarillo, TX that I can stay if I decide to travel pass Albuquerque?

LA to GC is a full day on the road, and even without a detour to Hoover Dam, you wouldn't really be able to see the canyon that day.

What I would recommend is take the detour to the dam, but plan on spending the night in Williams. See GC for a while that next day, and then start heading east. Frankly, making it as far as Albuquerque wouldn't be very realistic doing that, and I'd say you'd be making very good time if you made it as far as Gallup.

In any case, when you are traveling along the interstate, every even small town will have a handful of motels, gas stations, etc. Santa Rosa and Tucumcari NM are the largest towns between Albq and Amarillo, but if you get out a map and then do a google search for motels in the other smaller towns along the way, you'll still see there are plenty of options.

Default Heck of a lot.

Santa Rosa has some cheap lodging options after Albu, or so I have heard/ read about on the forums.

To travel from LA to Hoover dam and then onto Grand canyon is a full day's drive without much time to see anything. However, it is wise to get out of LA early and you could make it to Williams via Hoover dam and then drive through GC next morning, but that's kinda what I was thinking when I referred to Albu as a first stop, having a couple of hours or so at the rim first. You don't really want to burn yourself out in the early stages of your trip.

If you are going to cross the Hoover Dam on a Saturday, be prepared for a possible lengthy security delay. You may only be able to make it to Kingman for the first night.