1. Default Young, Free and Loaded: East Coast to West Coast

Hey, folks! Glad to be a new arrival here on the forums.

Here's the scoop: my buddy and I are in our early 20's. His term in the Marines is almost to a close, and I've been "honorably discharged" from my own place of employment back home. So we decided we're doing it. We're going on a completely free-form 2- or 3-month roadtrip around the USA, seeing it all and doing it all, with no rush and no worries. I'm a small-towner from Utah, and I've just arrived in the big city of Chicago, where we'll start.

We're starting here in Chicago, planning on looping up around the Great Lakes into Canada, probably down the East Coast and around into Mexico a bit, up through Texas, eventually into Las Vegas, through Utah, and continuing all the way up into the redwoods of Oregon.

Of course, planning isn't really part of the plan, if you know what I mean. We have a loose schedule to follow but generally we'll be on the whims of the moment. We both have a few friends and family members scattered around the US.

Any tips/suggestions/places or general road-trippin' wisdom? Where are the best stops to focus our trip around?

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-15-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: New Members are not allowed to post off-site links/promote their personal sites and moved the thread to this section

South of England.

Default Blank canvas.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Sometimes the best plan is to have no plan at all, and your situation would appear to fit that criteria perfectly. With such a lengthy and open trip, I'm not sure what help we can be at the moment, unless you have some specific questions.

What I would suggest is that you take a good look around the RTA site where you will find a wealth of info and route suggestions, [check out the tool bars above] then you can decide what the "best" stops are to suit your own personal interests.

Good luck !