1. Default Las vegas road trip

My husband and I are planning a trip the first week in Oct 2010. We have rented a Harley for 7 days and of course want to see the most I can in that time frame. day 1 Heading our way to Route 66 to Prescott (overnight) Grand Canyon South Rim Sedona Painted dessert forest 2 nd and 3rd day . Head to Utah Zion National park . Is this do-able within my time frame? Do I dare to attempt Bryce Canyon?? I am looking for the most scenic routes possible . What type of weather will I encounter?

Thanks I appreciate all advise

South of England.

Default Great time to travel this area.

Welcome back !

Is it this trip re-scheduled ? The same type of advice applies but I see you have an extra couple of day's, so Yes it will be quite a comfortable trip. Bryce canyon is certainly doable and highly recommended.

You could see a wide variation in weather, with temps possibly ranging from as high as the 80's to 90 or more around Vegas and below freezing at night and high elevation such as at Bryce canyon. These are pretty much at the extreme end of possibility but of course the weather can't be predicted this far in advance, just be sure to pack layered clothing. We love to travel this time of year and when we did so in this area last time the temps and weather were just about perfect with the added bonus of the crowds having gone home !

You could consider side trips to Monument valley and Death valley, but that will depend on the pace you want to set.

3. Default

yes This is the re-scheduled trip. I am excited to explore Bryce however I have a concern. It seem that there is construction @Mt Carmel Hwy and the tunnel which leads me to Bryce. I'm not too sure about the gravel roads . I may just give them a call and find out the length of this construction project ( miles) and is it safe................Is there another way to Bryce from Zion?

Joplin MO

A very scenic alternate from Zion to Bryce is as follows:

Take UT-9 west to La Verkin, then UT-17 to I-15. Take that north to Cedar City (take a short side trip into Kolob Canyons if you want) and take UT-14 east. Take UT-148 north into Cedar Breaks, then UT-143 to Panguitch. Take US-89 south and UT-12 east to Bryce.