New to the site. In reading some posts, it seems there's alot of experienced travelers on this site.
This will be our first road trip westward. The only research we have is maps, books and web sites. None of our friends have made this trip. We would greatly appreciate any real life ideas you have.
Apologies for all the info below, but we thought it may be best to give all info possible.
The wife and I are hoping to travel for 16 days this October, in a mini van.
Things we would like to accomplish;
1. Beautiful scenery (duh, right.....lol)
2. Wild west show/town (closed Missouri/Kansas after Labor day), couldn't find any in Carson City.
3. San Fran food and tour
4. Montery/ Big sur and hopefully affordable accomodations with view (are we dreaming...lol)
5. LA/ Hollywood, tour, accomodations.
6. At least one night oceanfront
7. At least one night away from lights for a star filled night (not camping though).
Thinking it will take 4 days to get to the coast. Not sure whether to take I70 or I80, previous posts sound like I70, but sometimes the wife has issues with ear pressure at heights. She's willing to try, as long as we can turn around if needed.
Was thinking taking I70 or I80 there so we could go south on Hwy 1. This probably means I40 back.
Other things on our wish list are;
1. Yosemite- preference order, if time, valley, mountain tops (ear issue?), trees.
2. San Diego
3. 1. KC bbq (time wise, probably not an issue) best way to route it in? what restaurant?
Would like to leave coast by the 10th day, maybe 11, to allow a day recoop. What would you do?
Thank you all for your time.