1. Default Road Trip Help Needed!

I've just spent the last few hours reading through a whoe loade of posts from others looking for help towards their road trip and have to say i have found so much valuable information on things like budgets, car rental costs, road conditions etc. This site really is full of awesome knowledge!

Anyway... my girlfriend and i are currently in Australia as part of a RTW trip and i have started to try and put together a rough plan for the American leg as i would like to know roughly where i'm going and what i'm doing, plus how much it's going to cost, before i get there!

We'll be flying into LA at the end of May, and we will have anything between 1 month and 2 months in total to make our way to NY for our flight home to the UK.

So... i'm looking for any advice on routes to take, things to see, places to see etc. I had assumed the best thing to do would be to choose either a northern or southern route from LA to NY and see as much as we could along the way. However i have just read a few posts discussing the possibility of doing '2 trips' with the first being a loop starting and ending in LA and the second being a loop starting and ending in NY with a flight between the 2 places.

The more i think about this, the more i like the idea... it would save on the 1 way drop off fees which have been coming out at over $1200 on the online quotes!

This would also allow us to visit more of the country as we could head north/south from LA, loop up through the middle of the country and the back down the coast before doing something similar on the east coast from NY.

Can anyone offer any advice on this idea? or any advice in general?

Sorry for the essay!

Thanks in advance. :)

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You are certainly right that doing a couple of loops would save you the one way drop fees, so that's a pretty reasonable option.

However, I'm really not sure that we can tell you much more at this point. We can't possibly narrow down the millions of things you could see, when you've got 1-2 month and the entire country available to you. The best I can say is keep researching and come up with a list of places you consider to be must sees, and then start connecting the dots. Once you're that far, we can help you fill in the gaps and let you know if things will or won't work.