1. Default RI to South places to stop on the way?

My husband and I, as well as our 12 year old son will be traveling from RI to SC this Christmas and want to stop at a few cool, "off the beaten path" places along the way. I've looked into guide books and AAA, but would like some advice from people that love to road trip! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Before we can answer this, we need to know a little bit more:
    How much time do you have for this trip?
    What kinds of things interest you?
    Whereabouts in South Carolina will you be headed (coastline, inland?)
    Do you have a general idea of the route you will be taking (probably I-95?)

3. Default

We're planning to take I-95 to Charleston SC, and we're thinking of leaving on a Sunday and to be in SC for far as interests, we like to do just about anything! I'd like to incorporate at least one physical activity(rock climbing, hiking, etc) and one intellectual activity (museum, historic sites, etc). Thanks for your help!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Plenty of time

Since you have several days to make this trip, you can wander a bit. The big thing here is how is the weather going to behave, especially if you're looking to do some hiking. One of my favorite places somewhat along the way is the Shenandoah Valley and the mountains of the Blue Ridge in Virginia. It goes without saying, perhaps, that Virginia is also awash in historical sites, having been the site of the Jamestown colony and witnessing many of the battles of the Civil War.

For a museum experience, you'd be hard pressed to top the Smithsonian in Washington, DC.

Default Winter in the South

Hello Heather007,

While it's entirely possible to enjoy "bluebird" days in VA, NC, or SC at this time of year, it's also possible to have dreary, wet, or even icy weather. That being the case, it seems difficult to plan outdoor activities with certainty. You've got some time, however, so possibly you can find a weather window for some of the following:

The Skyline Drive/Shenandoah NP/Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia: Not too far west of the I-95 corridor, and easy south/southeast routes to return to I-95 all the way from Front Royal to I-64 west of Charlottesville. Loads of short-to-long hikes along the SD/SNP/BRP corridor.

If you're cyclers and are bringing the bikes, there are Rails To Trails rides at Lynchburg, VA, Durham, NC, and other locales along the way.

If you'd fancy a swing away from I-95, consider coming down the Jersey Shore to Cape May, taking the ferry to Lewes, DE, thence down US 13 past Chincoteague/Assateague MD/VA to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (CBBT). At Assateague is a unit of the National Park Service with miles of cycling and walking paths, plus a segment of ocean beach. Just east of the southern end of the CBBT is First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, with a nice, wooded trail which leads to the Va Beach Oceanfront. Approach or departure from that part of VA is probably best by US 58 to I-95, as crossing the many tidal rivers and sounds in eastern NC makes for a lengthy and time-consuming endeavor.

I've been told reservations for the Cape May Ferry are strongly advised, so bear that in mind. My general notion and intuition is to avoid I-95 anywhere north of Richmond, VA during holidays, as traffic from around Fredericksburg the rest of the way to RI can be terrible. That alone would make the Delmarva Peninsula swing attractive for one leg of the trip.

Enjoy planning and taking your holiday RoadTrip!

6. Default

Considering that the weather will probably be generally cool you'll be a bit warmer along the coast. Virginia Beach averages in the 50s hi to the low 30s in late December. Myrtle Beach is a bit milder. With this in mind...

From the NJ Thruway consider heading south on US-13, as suggested by Foy. As you cross the Bridge-Tunnel stop at the island for a cup of coffee and walk out on the fishing pier. If you feel the weather will be too cool to walk along the beaches further south, consider visiting Colonial Williamsburg, with solid Revolutionary War history. If it is a warmer winter go south on US-17 to Wilmington, NC to see the USS North Carolina (all 12 yr old boys enjoy going into the gun mounts, etc.). Then go south on US-421 to Fort Fisher to the Confederate fort and museum - this is next to a beach that is a pleasant walk (too cold for swimming). Then take the ferry to Southport, an old southern town. Continue on US-17 to Myrtle Beach - Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede is a fun place with the north vs south horse show and dinner.

Plenty of beaches to walk at Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach, a few miles further south.

7. Default

Thanks everyone! We will definately be stopping @ the Smithsonian and Blue Ridge is also at the top of the list!