1. Default Rochester, Minnesota to Scotsdale, Arizona , best route advice?

I am leaving this weekend from Rochester, Minnesota to Scottsdale, Arizona. Wondering if i should go through kansas city, wichita, amarillo texas? or go through over by Denver and head south?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

From Rochester, the shortest interstate route would be to take I-35 all the way to I-40. However, there going via Denver only adds about 30 miles. That's hardly a noteworthy difference on a 1800 mile trip, so if you've got a personal preference, then go with your own feelings.

One other option would be to take a shortcut of US-54 from Wichita to I-40 in New Mexico. That would save you about a 100 miles, but you'll be going through a lot more small towns in Kansas, Oklahoma, and North Texas so the time difference would likely be a wash. In any case, you're looking at a 3 day drive.

3. Default Rochester, Minnesota to Scotsdale, Arizona , best route advice?

looking for advice on driving from Rochester, minnesota to Scottsdale, Arizona?

I had thought about going through the Denver area, then heading south... but think that going through kansas city might be better. i don't care about sites, or things to do on the way, the goal is to haul it down to AZ, and get it started there. I will be driving a 06 civic si, just hauling some clothes for my 2 month stay. Where do you think a good stopping point to sleep is? I have driven to Kansas City 4 times in the last year and am very comfortable getting to that point, was thinking about trying to get to either wichita, Oklahoma city, or Amarillo, texas.... amarillo would be a long shot...
    Does anyone have any advice about sleeping at rest stops? is it safe? generally....?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-07-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip

Rochester to Phoenix is 1800 miles, which is far too much to be doing with just one overnight.

This is on the top end of what we recommend for a 3 day trip. Wichita and Albuquerque would be the best stopping points, and that would be the best (shortest) route since speed is a factor.

Sleeping in rest areas is neither safe nor legal. If you want to sleep in your car, you're much better off staying at a place like a Truck Stop.

I show 1762 miles via I-35/I-40/I-17 with overnights in Wichita and Santa Rosa NM. Driving that many miles 3 days in a row, get a cheap motel - there are plenty in Wichita and Santa Rosa.

Example - in Wichita at Exit 50 there's a Super 8, and Santa Rosa has both a Super 8 and a Motel 6 at Exit 275.

6. Default

Great! thank you very much for the information. I did not know that you cannot sleep at a rest stop. Looks like i will be stopping for some sleep in Wichita, i was hoping to get to oklahoma city, but we will see!

You're 755 miles from Oklahoma City, which would take you about 14 hours in real world travel time. That's quite a bit more than we recommend, but if that were your final destination you might be able to do that in one shot.

The problem is you've still got 1000 miles of travel beyond OK City to Phoenix. That means you still need to spend two more days on the road, and by pushing yourself so hard the first day, you're not going to be in nearly as good of shape to make two more long drives.

Planning 3 roughly equally spaced days is a much safer, smarter, and ultimately more enjoyable way to go.