1. Default Chicago to Phoenix

Hi All!

First off I can't believe I have gone this long without finding this forum! This site is amazing!

Here is my question, I will be driving from Chicago to Phoenix in the next couple of weeks, but I am a little leery to follow the I-55, I-44, I-40, I-17 route again, as I have made this trip over and over again ad nauseum.

If I take the I-88, I-80, I-76 route is it better to go through Moab, UT or take the I-25 through Albuquerque, NM? And as far as time, how much longer are these routes over the trek through MO, OK, TX, and NM?

Thanks! I look forward to some sage advice!

Default Minimal Additional

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Either of the two alternatives you list would add about 2 hours of driving time to your trek. Each could be made in the same roughly 3½ - 4 days as the 'Route 66' roads you are so tired of. Pick the one that appeals to you most and enjoy the new scenery.

AZBuck

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Going via I-25 adds a little over 100 miles to the direct route you've laid out. Since its still all-interstate its only going to add a couple of hours to your overall travel time. To have a change of pace once you get to Arizona, you could also look at going down through Show Low or Payson instead of using I-17.

Going out to Moab does mean some time on 2 lane roads, and would likely mean a little more time. If you are hoping to make the trip in 3 days, I wouldn't recommend going this way, but if you've got a 4th day then it would be a very nice scenic detour.

4. Default

Thanks for the quick replies! Glad to hear that the alternatives are very reasonable. As much as I love Rt 66, I just needed a change of scenery especially since I am trekking alone.

@MidwestMichael, I love the drive through Payson, but I live on the north edge of Phoenix right off the I-17 so I'll pass on the drive through town! :)

If I had time I would go through Rochester, as my wife works for The Mayo Clinic and I'm real interested in seeing HQ so to say.

I would take I-88/I-80/I-76/I-70 - then get off before Moab at Exit 212 and take UT-128 into town. From there, take US-191 to US-163 and go through Mexican Hat and Monument Valley to Kayenta. Then take US-160 and US-89 to Flagstaff. This will add about 3 hours to the trip.

6. Default

Thanks glc, that last bit looks very promising.

I am looking at flying out to Chicago Monday or Turesday and starting my journey the next day. I can't wait! Nothing like a surprise road trip!

Default Depending on time.........

You don't say how long you have for the trip, but the part of the journey from Moab home is a great drive. Don't miss UT 218 through Castle valley to Moab, it's a lovely drive alongside the Colorado river. If you have the time, I would take a little detour onto US 34 to Estes park, through Rocky mountain NP and drive the Trail ridge Rd, the highest continuous roadway in the US. From Granby head through Kremmling and drop down to I 70 from there, of course it is time dependant.

I just went over Trail Ridge today - figure an extra hour for construction delays. It's torn up in about 3 places.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    You don't say how long you have for the trip, but the part of the journey from Moab home is a great drive. Don't miss UT 218 through Castle valley to Moab, it's a lovely drive alongside the Colorado river. If you have the time, I would take a little detour onto US 34 to Estes park, through Rocky mountain NP and drive the Trail ridge Rd, the highest continuous roadway in the US. From Granby head through Kremmling and drop down to I 70 from there, of course it is time dependant.
    I'm giving myself 3-5 days depending on how fast I need to get back to work etc.

I really like the idea of the Trail Ridge detour and I am 'doing the numbers' to see if I can make it work.