Thread: Family roadtrip

Default Family roadtrip

Hello!! We are a family of 4: 2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 8) planning in doing a road trip in april. we live in australia and went last april to the east coast and totally fell in love with the USA. so we are going back next april to see part of the west coast. I welcome all kind of advise!! since i feel i have an overload of information and im totally stuck in one part of our trip!!! Plus we dont reallly have much time for all the things i want to do!! only 11 days.

here is the itenerary:

1-3 april LA
    3-10 april Cruise to mexico

ROAD TRIP

10 APRIL begin our drive to the grand canyon (tusayan). Looking on google maps the shorter way to get there is on the i40. I know it is a long way so i need to spent one night on the way. Any recomendations? Its just to break up the trip, doesnt need to be a touristy place.

11 APRIL Drive to tusayan. spend some time in the grand canyon. night at tusayan.
    12 APRIL Explore more of the grand canyon. later on the day leave for vegas. Night at vegas
    13 APRIL Vegas. Night at vegas

NOW THIS IS WHERE THE TROUBLE STARTS!! We would like to go to yosemite but we are not keen on car chains (never used them before)! the first option would be the most common one... but surely the roads will be closed.

14 APRIL Drive to bishop via death valley. Night in bishop.
    15 APRIL drive to yosemite via mammoth lakes. Night in yosemite.
    16 APRIL Yosemite. drive to San francisco. Night in SF

What are my options to get to SF if this way is closed. I dont mind if we dont do yosemite at all. Will i need chains to go to death valley? If i go to bakersfield will i be able to do the trail of 100 giants?? or still need chains for that? :) Tought the kids will enjoy seeing the giant trees.

17 APRIL SF
    18 APRIL drive from SF to San Luis Obispo via Monterrey and carmel. Night in SLO
    19 APRIL San Luis Obispo. night in SLO
    20 APRIL Drive to Thousands oaks. night in thousands oak.
    21 APIRL drive to LAX. flight at 2300hrs.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Mica

Default Closed

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by mica View Post
    14 APRIL Drive to bishop via death valley. Night in bishop.
    15 APRIL drive to yosemite via mammoth lakes. Night in yosemite.
    16 APRIL Yosemite. drive to San francisco. Night in SF

What are my options to get to SF if this way is closed.
    There is no if, Tioga Pass will still be closed at this time. Historically, it just doesn't open until at least May. That means going to Bishop is not a reasonable option and you will have to go around via Bakersfield/Lake Isabella.

The good news is that chains usually aren't needed in April, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

It is certainly possible that you could go to the trail of 100 giants in Sequoia National Monument, or if you just want to see some of the big trees, there is a grove of Sequoias in Yosemite. However, to see the biggest of the big trees, you could also consider spending a day at Sequoia National Park.

Default Don't miss !

It would be possible to get to Tusayan same day, [full day on the road] but with an overnight stop you could drive through Joshua tree NP or the Mojave and stop around Laughlin or Kingman. From Las Vegas you could get through Death valley and spend the night around Lake Isabella [Kernville] and to the "Trail of 100 giants" next day up the Kern river highway and stop around Oakhurst for Yosemite. For more time in Yosemite head to 99 and 41, as Michael said, there are giant trees at Mariposa grove.

I dont mind if we dont do yosemite at all.
    When you have seen Yosemite, let me know if that statement still stands ! ;-)

It is spectacular and at this time of year the waterfalls will be flowing from the snow melt on the high ground, don't miss !!!!

Thanks a lot for the info Michael and Dave.
    I know it is possible to get to tusayan on the same day. But we get off the cruise ship at long beach only at 9 am, so by the time we pick up the car and buy some food to have on the way.. it will end up being pretty late to do it at a strecht. PLUS i dont really want to be in the car with the kids for soooo long!! :) So i will look at the options you suggested.

About Yosemite.... sorry.. i didnt mean to be disrespectul. I have looked at pictures and it is amazing. Its just that if it was going to be a lot of trouble to get there, thought we could skip it as we dont really have much time.

thanks a lot again... i might come back with more questions...:)

Default Not at all.

About Yosemite.... sorry.. i didnt mean to be disrespectul
    Don't apologise ! It wasn't disrespectful in any way, shape or form. It is your trip, and for you to make the decisions as to where you want to go with the time you have. I was just trying to explain how wonderful it is, and that if you get the chance it's definitely worth a visit.

thanks a lot again... i might come back with more questions...:)
    Please do, enjoy the planning !