Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Default our national park honeymoon roadtrip with pics

    Not sure which forum to post this, since it's a picture post from our roadtrip, in case anyone is interested.

    For our destination wedding and honeymoon, we went on a month long national park roadtrip extravaganza! A link to the 'planning stage' thread can be found here

    This is pretty much our route, and we went to a ton of national parks, including:
    Rocky Mountain (where we got married)
    Grand Teton
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Arches
    Canyonlands
    Capitol Reef
    Bryce Canyon
    Zion
    Grand Canyon

    And of course we stopped by a ton of roadside sights, including some prison museums, a ranch, a flintstones park, route 66 diner, some dinosaur statues, etc.


    To keep costs down, we camped about a third of the time, and stayed in hostels and cheap motels the rest of the time. We hardly ever went out to eat, we cooked a lot either over charcoal or with our butane stove. It was an awesome honeymoon, much more than I expected, and we had a ton of fun as well.

    If anyone has any questions about the trip or any of the sights we went to, feel free to ask.


    And feel free to check out our tons of pictures at our Picasa album here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/raven.angel
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-05-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Moved thread and added link to planning stages.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Cool.

    Hi Raven,

    Sounds as though you had a wonderful time and am pleased it went so well, thanks for dropping by with the report.

    Some nice pics you got there as well ! [I will be taking a closer look later]

    and Congratulations !

    I would be interested to know whether you decided to book your campsites in advance, or just "rolled up" and took your chances. If you didn't book, how easy was it to find vacant sites in the busy parks or surrounding areas ?
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-05-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added question.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post

    I would be interested to know whether you decided to book your campsites in advance, or just "rolled up" and took your chances. If you didn't book, how easy was it to find vacant sites in the busy parks or surrounding areas ?
    We only camped at Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Zion, and Grand Canyon. We prebooked all except Grand Teton, which was all first come and first serve. It was a bit of a hassle because we wanted to go to the most popular campground, but there are also other campgrounds out there which aren't as crowded as well.

  4. Default What did you think of Zion?

    Looks like you had a WONDERFUL trip!

    If you recall, I suggested that you visit Zion and walk the Narrows of the Virgin River. Looks like you took my advice. I'm curious what your impressions were.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    Looks like you had a WONDERFUL trip!

    If you recall, I suggested that you visit Zion and walk the Narrows of the Virgin River. Looks like you took my advice. I'm curious what your impressions were.

    Zion was gorgeous! I especially loved the waterfalls at the emerald pools hike. We weren't properly perpared (we only had tevas or heavy hiking boots, and didn't have any hiking sticks) so we only headed up an hour up the narrows, but we vow to return with better equipment and hike longer

  6. Default

    Great series of photographs!

    I like that you have your photos taken in front of the Park signs. It makes a good introduction to the sets of photos. I also enjoyed that you posted photos of the food you cooked and ate on the road. Your other road trip stops have shown me some new places I have to put on my list.

    The tire blow-out looks traumatic.

    When you have time, plot the exact path you drove and locations where some of the scenic photos were taken on a detailed map. Don't be surprised if your children or grand children want to retrace your road trip and take photos in the exact locations where you posed for photos.

    When I was at Lava Beds National Monument a couple of weeks ago I listened to a mom telling her two young teenaged children memories about the trip with her parents when she was their age. She asked me to take a photo of her and the kids standing at the same spot she stood as a young child with her parents and her father as a young boy stood with his parents.

  7. Default

    First, Congratulations on your marriage! The Pro wedding photos were beautiful. The blue in the flowers and in the sky were soooo crisp... I love it! What a great backdrop for a wedding... you chose the location well.

    My 6 year old daughter and I reviewed many of your NP photos and she was in awe. All I heard was "Oh, can we go there, can we go there." There was a picture of a squirrel on a ledge and you couldn't see his feet.... nice shot! In fact, my daughter is a total animal lover and she stared at that picture for a couple minutes. We're looking forward to the animal watching on our trips.

    Thank you for sharing.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mydogthurston View Post
    First, Congratulations on your marriage! The Pro wedding photos were beautiful. The blue in the flowers and in the sky were soooo crisp... I love it! What a great backdrop for a wedding... you chose the location well.

    My 6 year old daughter and I reviewed many of your NP photos and she was in awe. All I heard was "Oh, can we go there, can we go there." There was a picture of a squirrel on a ledge and you couldn't see his feet.... nice shot! In fact, my daughter is a total animal lover and she stared at that picture for a couple minutes. We're looking forward to the animal watching on our trips.

    Thank you for sharing.
    Thanks! You'll definitely see a TON of animals at the parks, most of the time without even trying hard. On our trip, we saw birds, squirrels, chipmunks, bison, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, marmots, lizards, ravens, and probably more!

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Great series of photographs!

    I like that you have your photos taken in front of the Park signs. It makes a good introduction to the sets of photos. I also enjoyed that you posted photos of the food you cooked and ate on the road. Your other road trip stops have shown me some new places I have to put on my list.

    The tire blow-out looks traumatic.
    Thanks!

    We like to document every part of the trip, so we take a lot of pictures of signs, of what we ate, of where we stayed, and other general traveling pictures, because that tells the whole picture.

    Yeah, we had the tire blowout in the middle of Montana. Luckily, we were only 20 miles from Helena, which had a walmart, so we bought a new tire there. We could've been in any of the other places on our route which didn't have a Walmart, or in a more middle of nowhere place where we had to travel further, so in a way, we did luck out on when we got the blowout.

Similar Threads

  1. National Park roadtrip honeymoon
    By raven18 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 11:04 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
  3. what to do in glacier national park
    By the boot in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
  4. glacier national park
    By alexandraes in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 05:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES