1. Default San Fran to San Diego 14 days

Hi

I really hope you can point me in the right direction. A friend and I are planning our road trip starting in San Fran and ending in San Diego. On the way, thing we would like to stop at are:

Fly in 17th Sept (late) San Fran - stay until Monday Morning 20th and pick up hire car
    - Grand Canyon
    - Death Valley
    - Las Vegas
    - Los Angeles

San Diego around 28th Sept
    Flying back to Europe Friday 1st October (am)

Is the above feasible? How long can / should we spend in each?

Any advice on best value rental companies that allow a pick up in san fran and a drop off in San diego?

Thanks in advance

C*F

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip you've outlined is certainly possible, and its a very common one. In fact, its the single most popular trip discussion on this forum, so your first step really should be to just look around at the vast wealth of ideas that have already been shared. These are a good place to start.

The most logical way to do your trip would be to do the Pacific Coast Highway and/or Yosemite, then Death Valley, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and then head back to LA.

There is no one sized fits all best value car rental company. Nearly all of the major chains will allow you to drop in San Diego, and you just have to shop around for the price that works best based on the details of your trip.

Default Outline route.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's a much discussed itinerary on the forums and you will find lot's of useful info by searching around a bit, as there are many options.

To "hit" the spots you mention, and add one of the most spectacular National parks in the park system, being Yosemite, a popular route outline would be San Fran > Yosemite > Death valley [over Tioga pass[CA120] across the Sierra Nevada mountains] > Las Vegas> Grand canyon > LA > SD.

It's certainly feasible but you will have to look at what grabs your interest to decide how to spend your time, but all deserve a couple of days to get an idea of what they have to offer.

Rental company's change there deals and offers all the time so it is a case of shopping around for the best deal that suits your requirements.

Have a look around and as you have new questions just keep asking and we can help to "fine tune " your trip".

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip you've outlined is certainly possible, and its a very common one. In fact, its the single most popular trip discussion on this forum, so your first step really should be to just look around at the vast wealth of ideas that have already been shared. These are a good place to start.

The most logical way to do your trip would be to do the Pacific Coast Highway and/or Yosemite, then Death Valley, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and then head back to LA.

There is no one sized fits all best value car rental company. Nearly all of the major chains will allow you to drop in San Diego, and you just have to shop around for the price that works best based on the details of your trip.
    Thanks Michael, I did take a look at the other threads on the forum and got slightly overwhelmed to be totally honest! I think the it's because along with the places I mentioned , there were many others that I am not too familiar with which got me a bit lost *blush*

I appreciate you taking time to reply.
    Would you mind suggesting how many day /nights you personally would recommend to spend at each of the locations? I know it will come down to personal taste / interest - but I would really appreciate some pointers

Yours rather clueless and stressed,

C*F

Default A start.

How I would do it with 8 days from SF to SD would be as follows, 20th] SF to Yosemite, 21st] Yosemite to Bishop/Lone Pine. 22nd] through Death valley to Vegas. 23rd] Vegas. 24th] Grand canyon. 25th] Grand canyon, start journey to LA. 26th/27th] LA. 28th] To SD.

There are many variables/routes, but that gives you a platform to start from based on the info you have given. If I am honest, I would take a little more time getting around and miss the urban sprawl of LA, but that's me and I am no fan of City's, although I loved San Fran, and Vegas, well you just have too !

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    How I would do it with 8 days from SF to SD would be as follows, 20th] SF to Yosemite, 21st] Yosemite to Bishop/Lone Pine. 22nd] through Death valley to Vegas. 23rd] Vegas. 24th] Grand canyon. 25th] Grand canyon, start journey to LA. 26th/27th] LA. 28th] To SD.

There are many variables/routes, but that gives you a platform to start from based on the info you have given. If I am honest, I would take a little more time getting around and miss the urban sprawl of LA, but that's me and I am no fan of City's, although I loved San Fran, and Vegas, well you just have too !
    Thanks! This is a great starting point for me - tbh I didnt even know what order to put the bits in a middle - you're a star!!!
    I'm going to have to go look up bishop / lone pine.
    Does this take us along Highway 1?
    The big sur?

C*F

Default No, but it's possible.

Does this take us along Highway 1?
    No, but it is one of the many options you could take, but this is where you need to do a little more of your own research, make choices and then decide how best to work it into your schedule. One thing for sure, you won't be able to do it all and some things will have to give.

Take a look here for some of our favorite threads covering this area.

8. Default

Thanks! I agree, some things will have to give

appreciate your help

C*F