Default Central Illinois to Cape Girardeau, Mo. in October

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Cape Girardeau, Mo. area next month. I've been on all the tourism websites and seen the historical sites and other stuff listed. I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions for other off the beaten path places to see on the way down or around the Cape Girardeau area. Thanks

Default much more?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Honestly, looking at the sites you mentioned is usually the best way to find "off the beaten path" type places, because even those places will typically be covered by local tourist authorities.

Have you checked out our Road Trip Routes section yet? That's got a few articles, like this one, that could provide you with some additional places you haven't yet thought of.

Default How about a RoadTrip down the Mississippi (or, at least, across it)?

Hello dougie,

On my last 2 cross-country RoadTrips to Montana and back to NC, I looked long and hard for alternatives to going through St Louis from the east on I-64. As a result, I've twice crossed the Ohio at Cairo, IL from the KY side, and once I then immediately crossed the Mississippi on another bridge at the foot of the Ohio River bridge. The two bridges are at the confluence and are old 2-lane high-rise structures (perhaps 150' above the river) and are worth a side trip from the Cape.

There is also a small barge + tugboat-type ferry crossing from Hickman, KY to the MO side a few miles below the Ohio. I forget its name but once I learned of it it was easy to find online using Hickman. It only operates several days/week as opposed to every day. And, this year, after crossing the 2 bridges at the confluence, I saw signage along I-55 for IL-MO ferry crossings north of the Cape, between there and St Louis.

Just below CG, at Sikeston, is Lambert's Cafe "The Only Home of Throwed Rolls". Looks like a fun place to visit for a country dinner.

Enjoy planning and taking your RoadTrip!

Foy

Where are you starting out from in central Illinois? Are you from there?