• To Burlington, VT
    • Roughly following Interstate 90

It's pretty much a blank slate. On the list so far is:
    • Devil's Tower
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • the Badlands
    • the Great Lakes?
    • Niagara Falls

We're into nature, history, and cultural things. Pretty cheap too. So, I'd appreciate suggestions on "don't miss" places along the way. I'm not averse to changing the route, by the way. Surely there's some interesting cowboy and pioneer things to visit.

the Wand'ring Scot

Tucson, AZ

Default One Way, I Presume

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With only nine days, I assume that this is a one-way RoadTrip from Billings to Burlington. You simply wouldn't have time in a week's vacation to anything but drive straight through to Burlington, turn around and drive straight backto Billings. But with nine days for the eastbound journey you can add a few things to your stated itinerary. Starting in southeastern Montana, there's the Little Bighorn Battlefield at Garryowen, then Deadwood, SD in the Devils Tower/Mount Rushmore area. Driving through central and eastern South Dakota, you'll be passing near 5 or so Indian reservations so check whether they have museums, displays, rodeos or cultural centers that may be of interest. Two spots on the Great Lakes worth looking into are Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore at the southern tip of Lake Michigan and the Cedar Point Amusement park in Sandusky. Also the offshore islands in the area are both scenic and historic. If you plan on seeing Niagara Falls from the Canadian side you will need passports for everybody in your entourage. Finally, as you head north from Albany to Burlington be aware that you will be in the hart of one of the most fought over pieces of terrain of the American Revolution with historic forts at Lake George, Ticonderoga, and Crown Point.

3. Default

Yes, it's one way. It is just the first leg of a 12,000 mile, 100 day journey!

Thank you for your suggestions! We now have more than enough interesting things to see:
    • Little Bighorn
    • Wind River Canyon and Thermopolis (maybe)
    • Devil's Tower
    • Black Hills Institute Museum
    • Badlands National Park
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • Minuteman Missile National Historic Site
    • Lewis and Clark history near Pierre, SD
    • Harmony, MN Amish community (maybe)
    • Vesterheim Museum, Decorah, IA
    • Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio
    • Art Institute of Chicago
    • Headlands Dunes Preserve, Mentor, OH
    • Niagara Falls
    • Fort Ticonderoga

I never realized that there were so many interesting things out there. -- We will be skipping the SPAM museum.

Default Southeast Montana/Northeast Wyoming

Hello wanderingscot,

Should you venture down to Thermopolis and the Wind River Canyon it might be too much out of the way to pass down US 212 from Crow Agency, MT to around Broadus, MT enroute to access Devil's Tower from the north. From Crow Agency southeast, US 212 passes through high plateau/forested butte and canyon country and is quite scenic. That country, essentially all the way from Crow Agency to just west of Broadus, is reservation country, too. To be perfectly blunt about it, the towns are are not so scenic, particularly Lame Deer. Since this is a family trip, presumably with children, hopefully there's educational value to their having a glimpse of reservation life as indicated by the towns along US 212.

Enjoy planning and taking your RoadTrip!