1. Default Kansas City through the Northeast October 2-12

We are not experienced travelers and want to take a road trip from KC through the Northeast, does anyone have a road trip they would suggest. We are looking for something relaxing. We are throwing in the back packs and tent but this is not my husbands favorite way to spend the night!!! Thank you for your help.

Tucson, AZ

Default Define....

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The 'Northeast' is a pretty big target to try to give advice on. It could include everything from roughly Washington to Bangor, world class cities to deserted woods. A few places you might want to consider if you haven't already are:

The Eastern Shore of Maryland and the Delmarva Peninsula. The summer crowd will have gone home but the weather should still be delightful. There are a ton of quaint towns and wildlife refuges to go with the nearly deserted ocean resorts.

Delaware Water Gap/Catskills. Again, early October is well past peak tourist season. There are a number of locations that specialize in romantic couples retreats throughout this sylvan and hilly region.

Finger Lakes. Central New York offers some great hikes, vineyards and historic towns.

New England. Here, (un)fortunately you will be bumping up against peak leaf-peeping season, so while the scenery and towns are bucolic, the roads will be a bit crowded - and it will be getting a bit nippy at night for camping.

3. Default

I know I am sorry, that is the problem we don't really know where we want to go for sure. The fall leaves, mountains, water, Niagara Falls, Bar Harbor. It would be cool to know a way to see the beautiful country without having to drive bumper to bumper. Thank you for your suggestions, I will check out those places.