Default Yellowstone and Grand Canyon in september?

I'm in the early stages of planning a 3 week RV trip to visit Yellowstone and Grand Canyon. I live in the UK and I can't quite figure out what's the best time to come. We'll be travelling with a 3 year old, so I don't want it to be too hot, on the other hand I don't want to be too cold either... My research so far leads me to believe that September might not be a bad idea? And that travelling from north to south might be best? So maybe fly into Salt Lake City and fly out from Las Vegas or Phoenix or?
    Also, being european I obviously have difficulties with the distances... How much is it reasonable to expect to do in 3 weeks, if you don't want to spend the whole time driving?

Thanks a lot,

South of England.

Default On the right track.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think you are thinking along the right lines and would be looking to get into Yellowstone by mid September as the weather can turn quickly there, and snow and sub zero temps often follow. [check out the Yellowstone nps site for details] Salt lake is a possible to fly into but you might find it cheaper to fly into Denver where you could include Rocky mountain NP in your itinerary. I would also think that Vegas will be a lot cheaper to fly from than Phoenix, it's certainly something worth checking out.

Doing a one way trip will have a "one way drop" fee attached to the rental so you could consider a full loop but it depends on the pace you want to travel at. I wouldn't attempt much more than 400 miles in a day in an RV and that is without sight seeing. With so much to do and see we only averaged about 160 miles a day on our last RV trip, and every day was a full day.

Have a look around the forums and other RTA pages with a good map to hand and as you build your trip, keep asking questions.