1. Default 4 days in Denver, suggestions for a short road trip?

I will be in Denver Sep30-Oct 3 and would like to do a short road trip around that area. I would like to visit the Rocky mountain NP for sure but also would like to include some other scenic places to make a nice loop. Would appreciate any suggestion.

South of England.

Default A start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There are many options but one such loop would take you into Rocky mountain NP and over the Trail ridge Rd through Grand Lake and back to I 70. Head West and detour over Loveland pass on 6 to Dillon for great views. Back on I 70 and you could drive down to Leadville, the highest incorporated town in the US and then head to Buena vista while taking a short detour to Twin Lakes. Head back East on 285/24 through Woodland park [views of Pikes peak] to Manitou Springs. [Pikes peak toll Rd, Cave of the Winds and Garden of the gods and back to Denver.

As I said, there are many options and variations so take a look around and see what you come up with.

3. Default How much time for the short road trip?

Not sure if you're looking for several short daily trips, returning to Denver each night, or if you have several days to blow once you get there.

I once flew into Denver several days before a convention, intending to visit RMNP for a couple days first. However, there were several days of rain forcast, so I altered my plans as follows.

I left Denver at 6am.

I drove I-70 west and visited COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT.

I continued west along I-70 with frequent breathtaking views, including the drive through the Eisenhower Tunnel.

I entered MOAB by way of scenic route 128. Gorgeous!

I stopped at DEAD HORSE STATE PARK. What views!

I ended up at ARCHES NATIONAL PARK. What a wonderful place.

The next day, I went on some hikes at Arches.

The third day, I hiked in castle valley and headed back to Denver, stopping at the gambling towns of Black Rock and Central City. I actually came out ahead!

That's just a sampling, but direct from Denver to Moab is about 6 hours. You could do some of this with only two days. If you have the time, this would be a wonderful addition to your RMNP visit.