Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default road trip with a mission

A couple years ago we did our cross country touristy trip- NY to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and back again in 2 weeks. It was awesome.

Now, this next summer, I'll be buying a truck in NY, and will have 2.5 weeks to drive around the country and then up to Fairbanks, AK with 2 friends. It'll stay there (I live in AK).

Now, one friend's a great writer and a journalism major, another is great at drawing, and I'm into photography. We're thinking on this trip we'd like to do something epic and write a book, or at least a good article about it.

Our best idea so far is to interview folks all over the place about either the meaning of life or the American dream, or both if they can somehow reasonably be combined. Another idea is a scavenger hunt all over the country (bigfoot, Vonnegut's lost gravesite, etc..).

Anyone done anything like this before? I'd appreciate hearing any stories you've got to tell along these lines, and input.

Thanks,

Sarah

I like the scavenger hunt idea, but to be honest it would be fabulously interesting to hear about the people you meet throughout your road trip and thier thoughts on "The Meaning of Life and the American Dream". I love it! Now, the real reason I am responding is we want to go from East TN to Yellowstone, then Grand Canyon and whatever else falls along the roadway. I need any help knowing the good and bad of doing this trip....Tell me what happened on your trip! Please!?!???

The idea sounds awesome. For some reason while reading your post I couldn't help but to think that through your interviews you're going to reassure us how the downfall of the economy is affecting people's lives all around the country. I mean we hear about it on the news and in newspapers etc. But, for me at least, it would be pretty interesting to hear how other people are coping with the job deficit in states other than NY/NJ. Keep us posted.

4. Default Glad some of you are finding it interesting :)

will definitely keep posted.

sisjeanrey, I'd be happy to tell you all about our fabulous road trip. Email me with all your questions and when I have some time this weekend I'll get em answered. We LOVED our trip!!

Personal Email Address removed per forum policy.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-27-2010 at 06:53 PM.

5. Default

You should work on several stories. The American Dream and Scavenger Hunt sound good. In addition, you might want to do some current events -

You might interview refugees from Arizona. I found a couple of them in Montana and South Dakota without even trying. Apparently things have got so bad in Arizona with the illegals, people are moving out. As a Pennsylvanian, I'm no expert on the phenomenon, but apparently it is happening - this might explain the recent news on Arizona and the illegal immigrants and the failure of the Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection unit to carry out its mission. Maybe you can use this as a side story. The issue is in the news - timeliness might help get your written story published.

Other advice - don't forget to use video! If you write a book, you can use video to advertise the book!

6. Default

Thanks for your advice Gail. I think that's probably what we'll do- have a few different focuses, and then fine tune it and pull it all together after we get back.

And sisjeanrey, I noticed my email didn't show up that I posted here. I don't check the forum too often, but if you send me a PM with questions I'll try and answer next time I'm online.

Quote Originally Posted by cllesko15 View Post
    The idea sounds awesome. For some reason while reading your post I couldn't help but to think that through your interviews you're going to reassure us how the downfall of the economy is affecting people's lives all around the country. I mean we hear about it on the news and in newspapers etc. But, for me at least, it would be pretty interesting to hear how other people are coping with the job deficit in states other than NY/NJ. Keep us posted.
    I like this person's idea for stories better. "The Meaning of Life" & "The American Dream" seem a bit cliche in my opinion. It is awesome that you are getting this opportunity to make this journey!

8. Default Got a plan!

We've decided finally to run with the scavenger hunt idea. We'll be taking the trip from NY to AK next July for 2-3 weeks, and will separate the list out into people, places, and events. Here are some examples of ideas so far, that range from simple to ridiculous:

Someone who is at least 100 years old
    A near death experience
    Sasquatch
    An original work of Kurt Vonnegut
    The top of a very big mountain
    A live fight
    Icicles (remember this is July)
    Someone who herds reindeer

I think the goal will be a list of about 100 items, that aren't too specific and can be humorously manipulated if they can't really be found- for example, one of us may have to dress as Sasquatch and prance through the woods for a photo opp. if a real live Bigfoot is too elusive for us! =P

I'm very excited, I think this is going to make a great story- We'll be sure to get lots of pictures from each finding, and a narrative from those involved. To add to this, we are going to bring a sketchbook to fill, where we will have a witness from each event draw a picture (and sign/date it).

If this doesn't turn out to be a best seller, at least it will be a great memory book :)

Default a clue

Let me be the first to offer you a hint on your search for one of the more difficult items on your list.

10. Default

Haha, that's great! Thanks Michael, that'll be a must-see.