1. Default Texas to Oregon and Back - September 16-27

Hello! My husband and I just got married in May and are going to embark on our first "MAJOR" road trip together! We've done several 12 hour or less trips and love traveling, we also share drive time and don't mind driving 12+ hours a day. We are setting out from Palestine, Texas on September 16 and plan to camp our way to Medford Oregon, to fish the Rogue River with his Granddad. Our plans on the way include Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo, the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Four Corners, Off Roading in Moab, Utah, Groto Falls, Salt Lake City, Utah. Once we get to Oregon we are going to see Crater Lake on Monday, September 20th and fish the Rogue River, Tuesday, September 21st. From there we plan on heading south early Wednesday the 22nd for the Pacific Coast Highway, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Sequoia's, the Redwoods, Death Valley, the to Las Vegas, Nevada, Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon. Then a pit stop to see friends in Phoenix and then to White Sands, New Mexico then power housing it back home. I know this is A LOT to do in just 12 days but we really think we can manage it! We'll probably need a vacation when we get back to catch up on rest but we have the opportunity so we think we should make the most of it! We aren't the people to stop and spend hours at each place...just like to stop, take a few pictures and see what it's all about then on to the next stop. We would appreciate ANY advice of routes to take, places to see, whatever you want to tell us! We don't want to miss a thing! =)

Tucson, AZ

Default Missing Everything

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Look, I love a good, long day's drive as much as the next man (or woman) but trying to cover over 5,000 miles in just 12 days while "not miss[ing] a thing!" just isn't possible. Add in the fact that you want to spend quality time with family along the way and your ambitious itinerary is a recipe for disaster. Basically, you're going to need to do over 600 miles a day (minimum!) each of the days you're actually on the road and all you're going to be doing is sitting still in the car watching the world roll by outside your window and wishing you could spare 5 minutes to stop at any of the many attractions you've spent all that time, effort and money to get to. Driving a single 12 hour day is considerably different from driving 10 of them in a row with barely a let up. I strongly urge you to take a more realistic approach to this trip and cut back drastically on what you're trying to accomplish in your limited timeframe. You're just setting yourself up for an exhausting disappointment.

3. Default

Echoing the comments of AZBuck, it is time to reconsider your plans. Down Texas way you may average 60mph, but in the areas you're planning to travel you'll do well to average 50mph, usually far less. Some of the roads you're taking will slow you down to 35mph or so. Add to that stops for meals, gassing up, construction and traffic delays and just plain stretching you'll seldom be able to hit 500 miles a day. Then as campers you'll need time to set-up and tear-down your site, prepare meals, etc. (Consider that the days are getting shorter with about 12 hours of light a day, so you'll need to set-up before dark.)

You say "...and see what it's all about..." That does take time. Considering the cost of the trip ...$500 or so for gasoline, plus food, campsites, etc it appears that you will be stretching both time and money and your main memories will be fishing on the Rouge (a great experience), and taking pictures of places you'll want to return to in the future to really see. Sorry I'm so blunt - but you really should reconsider your plans.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default lacking daylight

I've taken many trips where they've been quick overview type trips, where we haven't spend very long at any one place, but I also think this is just too much.

The daylight issue really is going to work against you here. Its going to be very difficult to drive 12 hours every day, stops and see anything, find campgrounds, and set up camp, when you're going to only have 12 hours of daylight each day. Even if you are setting up in the twilight, and getting up before dawn to have your camp packed back up at dawn, by the time you stop for even an hour or two at some of the places you've mentioned, you're going to have a hard time covering even 500 miles in a long day.

Some of the things you've mentioned are also things that will take several hours, going a bit against your plan to to stop anywhere. For example, you're not going to be able to go off-roading in Moab without spending at least a half day in the area.

Is there any way you can add a few more days to your vacation?

5. Default Thanks

Thank you for your concerns...I know it is a lot and fast. But we really have sat and thought this through. It will be a whirlwind of a trip, and it's not so much a vacation seeing all the sites. Fishing with his Granddad is the reason we're going but we thought if we have to drive, we might as well stop and see something interesting while we stretch, snap a picture and get back on the road. We're making the trip, so we just thought we would ask for suggestions of good places to see along the way. We realize what we are undertaking and we can't take off any longer. We've planned out the 4 hour off roading in Moab and have allowed time for all the stops in our schedule and we will be able to make it. If we see something we really like, we'll plan to vacation there and explore it more extinsively at a later date. We're only taking what we can fit in our truck and set up and take down of our camp will be our airmatress and a pop up tent. We're packing snacks and food to take in the truck, so we won't be stopping too often for food. We were really just looking for help or encouraging advise. We're the glass is half full kind of people. Where there is a will there is a way...and we're willing to make this trip, so God will provide the way!

Joplin MO

I'm really sorry, but I don't think you are going to find much encouraging advice here for a trip of that scope in that period of time. Reality says that Palestine to Medford and back is 8 days with no detours or sightseeing stops via fastest route, and won't take you anywhere near Moab or the PCH.

Perhaps you are getting your drive times from a mapping program? If so, they are all wildly optimistic and you need to add 20% to those numbers. Again, this reflects reality. Computers don't have to stop for anything, not even to go to the bathroom.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default reality

Its great that you are glass half full people - the problem is just telling yourself the glass is half full when everyone else can see that the glass is completely empty. That isn't a good thing, you're just telling yourself what you want to hear.

Its great to say that "God will provide the way" but your statement reminds me a whole lot of the story of the man who was caught in a flood, refused several peoples repeated attempted to rescue him because he declared that "God would save him," and then when he drown and got to meet the Creator he asked "why didn't you save me?" God simply replied, "I sent several people to help you, but you refused all the help."

We wish you the best, but if you are determined to ignore reality, then we can't really provide much in the way of help. We want to encourage you to have a fun and safe trip, but that really is all going to be in your hands.