1. Default SF to Norfolk VA via I-40. Looking for tips and things to see!

Hi all,

I will be traveling with my father and my brother from the San Francisco Bay Area all the way to Norfolk Virgina in a few weeks, traveling mainly on I-40, then I-81/I-64. I have about 5 - 8 days to travel, then plan to meet up with my son and visit Washington DC when we arrive.

I was hoping the experts out there could give me some site seeing tips and maybe a few must sees along the long road trip to make it as fun and interesting as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Tucson, AZ

Default "Take It Easy"

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As you drive through/by Winslow, AZ, keep the Eagles song in mind. Long Haul RoadTrips, such as your transcontinental journey, cry out for a relaxed pace that can be kept up day after day and still be enjoyed. Be sure to take plenty of 'mental health' breaks as you head east. You'll nee easily the better part of 6 days to make the journey at a pace of 500-550 miles a day. Keep in mind that three of your days are only going to be 23 hours long due to time zone changes and that each of those hours should come out of your drive time rather than sleep or R&R. On top of those 6 days you can add however much time you want to spend at some of the more popular attractions along the way including the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Cadillac Ranch, OK City Memorial, Hot Springs, AR, Great Smoky Mountains, Washington and the Historic Triangle.

Default Just curious: Why I-40?

Hello bigpayback,

While I haven't tried to compare distances, I must wonder why you choose to drop down to the I-40 corridor. There are certainly many good reasons to do so in terms of scenery, etc, but it seems somewhat out of the way.

4. Default

Hi Foy,
    I figured it to be the most direct route, and I was interested in checking out Route 66 Cadillac Ranch, and Memphis. AZBuck gave me some other great ideas as well. However, I am open to suggestions!

Joplin MO

My mapping program says to take I-80 all the way to Youngstown OH, then I-76/I-70/I-270/I-95/I-64. Your proposed route is only 10 miles longer though. The following route is about 20 miles shorter and is worth considering - I-80/US-50/I-70/I-64. I guess it all depends on what you want to see and how many days you can take for the trip. I would not try to do it in less than 6 days.