View Poll Results: What Car Would You recommend for a very Comfortable Road Trip?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buick Lacrosse

1 50.00%
  • Dodge Charger

0 0%
  • Lincoln Towncar

1 50.00%
  • Toyota Prius

0 0%
  • Chrysler 300C

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1. Default Help pls: Road trip from atlanta to georgia

Hello All,

My family and I are coming to the USA to celebrate thanksgiving with family members and we are also planning a road trip from Atlanta to New York with the possibility of spending a night or two at Maryland en-route our journey to New York.

I would like to find out how what the driving conditions (weather and traffic) would be on the road at that time of the year, also how many hours it will take to drive up to Maryland with intermittent stops to refuel and get something to eat and possible sightseeing, as I will be travelling with my daughter who is about 3yrs and a son who would be about 5months then and my wife.

We are coming from England, and we have been planning this trip for some time now, but I know a little bit of advice and information will go a long way to help with our preparations. I have rented a Buick Lacrosse which is about the most comfortable Sedan I could find within my budget.

Please help with suggestion on how to make this road trip as pleasant as possible.

We also intend to Drive Up to Toronto to the Niagara Falls, but that depends on my state of mind after driving up to New York.

Thank You all in anticipation of your valued suggestion.

Default limits

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The first thing you should know is that your question of which is the most comforable model to rent is really a false choice here. Rental car companies only promise a specific class of car, they will not guarentee a specific model. So while you might get a Buick Lacrosse, you could very easily end up with a Ford Crown Vic, a Toyota Avalon, or really any of the other cars you listed (except the Prius). In any case, it should be quite comfortable and work well for your needs.

As far as your drive, its nearly 700 miles from Atlanta to Baltimore, which is really quite a bit farther than we recommend for a single day of travel, especially since you'll be traveling with kids, and you'll have to deal with east coast traffic. You'd be looking at a minimum of 13 hours on the road time, and that's before you do any sightseeing or stops other than just basic ones to refuel, and grab some food on the go. I'd really look at stopping somewhere for the night along the way.

Baltimore to NYC can be done in a relatively easy trip. You should be looking at 4-5 hours, if traffic isn't too bad.

Speaking of traffic, I-95 is pretty much always pretty bad in terms of traffic, and if you're talking about a holiday weekend that's not going to help. Weather is simply impossible to predict at this time, as pretty much anything is possible.

3. Default

Thank you very much for your reply Micheal. I wont be doing the driving alone, as my wife will also be doing some driving possibly 4hours out of the said 13hours. Having said that, I will take to your advice and search for hotels along our route - North Carolina or Virginia, should the need arise that we may have to spend the night on the route to Maryland.

Looking on Google map, some roads have been classified as Toll Roads and some Partial Toll, does that mean we will be charged remotely or we will have to go through a proper Toll Gate?

Many Thanks Once Again!

I would recommend you spend a night around Richmond VA. Richmond to Baltimore is about 3 hours.

Unless your rental comes with an "EZ-Pass" you will have to use the toll gates and pay cash. I don't believe there are any "license plate" toll roads in that area. It's doubtful that a car picked up in Atlanta would have an EZ-Pass unless they give you a car that was brought down from the Northeast and has to go back. I believe that a "partial toll" road is one where you only pay a toll to use a set of express lanes, similar to carpool or HOV lanes.

Even with 2 drivers, I still wouldn't recommend trying to travel 700 miles in one day along the northeast corridor, especially not with children in the car. You can do it, but its going to be a pretty miserable experience for everyone involved - and as I mentioned, the 13 hours is best case, with few traffic slow downs and including nothing but the bare minimum of stops. Once you factor in a few stops to get out of the car and maintain you and your kids sanity, it would not surprise me at all to see your actual travel time be in the 15-16 hour range.

6. Default

Many Thanks Guys. You are the best! Ill take to all the advice and hopefully I will have a pleasant trip and be able to see all our scattered family in one piece.

Furthermore, how much would it cost me in total for Toll from ATL - Staten Island NYC, also which Car rental company would you recommend to be the most preferable? Cos someone was telling me that I might end up with some funny cars despite having made reservation for a premium car.

Would anyone of you recommend between a Buick Lacrosse or Toyota Prius, in terms of comfort and reliabilty, am not really upbeat about MPG.

Sincere Thanks Guys, you rock!!

Default reliability

I really don't think you need to worry about reliability at all when you're talking about a rental car. Every major car rental company (and I've used most of them, and haven't found any major differences) is going to be giving you a nearly new car, and in the very rare case you'd end up with a car that does have a breakdown, the rental car company is responsible for getting it fixed and will usually just put you in a different car if the repair will take any significant amount of time.

I'm not sure about what you mean by "funny cars," but I think you're really being overly concerned about something that's pretty much a non issue. Its possible that because of a shortage of cars, they might not have a premium car available, but even in the worst case, I'd see them moving you into a full sized sedan (which really isn't going to be that different) or into a minivan, but more likely, they'll move you up in class if they have to move you at all.

If you're not worried about MPG, then I don't really know why you'd even consider a Prius. The Prius is a small hybrid car where the primary feature is its gas mileage/"green" image, which you'll pay a premium for. That's the one car that you've talked about that really doesn't make any sense in your situation.

Baltimore Tunnel: $2
    I-95 Maryland: $5
    I-95 Delaware: $4
    NJ Turnpike: $4.35
    Outerbridge Crossing: $8

If you have reserved a Buick Lacrosse (or similar) you will get some kind of large, comfortable 4 door saloon that will seat 5 people comfortably, it will have a huge boot, and cruise on the highway effortlessly, smoothly, and quietly. By UK standards, it will have a huge engine. With our petrol prices, you can figure on spending no more than $150 for fuel to get from Atlanta to NYC.

You should really stop and smell the roses along the way. Take your time, visit the smokies, as it is so beautiful. You could even try driving along the Blueridge Pkwy for a bit, just to see how magnificent it is. You'll have a much better holiday if you do. Good luck and I hope you have a lovely trip. P.s. The weather is rarely very bad in November along this route, at least up through about NY, but there's always a chance..just keep an eye on the weather channel.