Thread: Mayday mayday

1. Default Mayday mayday

Ain't I glad I joined this forum. Ok guys I'm doing a west coast from 1st till 7th octbr. I'll be landing in lax. Then should I drive same day to Vegas and spend 6 days in Vegas and squeeze grand canyon.and could I just drive into the death valley and be bk same day to Vegas. Im totally confused. Yeeeelp

Default Yes and no.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It is possible to drive to Death valley as a day trip, but not the Grand canyon. With up to a 6 hour drive each way to the South rim, it really doesn't give you the time to enjoy it so an overnight stay is recommended. There are quite a few options and these are among the best day trips from Vegas, so you won't be short of things to do !

Tours go from Vegas to GC, but they are usually aimed at the West rim on Indian lands and not in the National park.

Default additionally

You didn't say where you are starting from, but if you are coming from overseas, then trying to make a 5 hour drive in one of the worst cities in the world for traffic right after landing following a long flight and a multiple hour time change really isn't the best idea.

Considering the number of cheap flights between LAX and Vegas, and since you are planning to spend all of your time in Vegas, I'd look at taking a domestic flight and wait to get a car until after you get to Vegas.

4. Default

Thnx Michael.yup I'm dng almost a 20 hour flight outta Delhi into lax. So Im unsure what to do..... Basically I wntd to knw that if I keep my base camp as Vegas,then besides the regular gambling,wining n dining with my wife,where in the few hours vicinity could I go to. Need sme ideas. Thnx agn

5. Default

Thnx again. So if I keep Vegas as my base camp,then besides the regular gambling,wining n dining ,where else could I go with my wife,something in the vicinity of a few hours.....anther quick question where and what exactly is the death valley. Is it the view that u get and why to do there....

As you have a 20 hour flight, you will be tired and your body clocks out of zinc so you should just head for an airport hotel and continue next day or, as Michael suggested, get an internal flight to Vegas depending on arrival time. When you add the time it will take to clear customs and get your rental car, you won't want to face a long drive or even the traffic of LA.

I have already posted a link to day trips from Vegas in post 2 of this thread.

Yeah, if you're doing a flight from India, you certainly should not think about driving to Vegas the same day you land. If you can't get a flight to Vegas, then you should plan to spend the night at a hotel near LAX, and save your drive for after you've had a chance to rest and recover.

The link Dave provided earlier also includes a map showing the location of Death Valley and other daytrip locations, however, you should look for a good map of this area before you go so you have a better visual idea of the area you'll be traveling to.