1. Default 16 and ready to go.

Hey everyone!

Me and my friends recently got off our JOL's and we would like to go on a bonding camping/roadtrip starting around July 10 and starting off driving to the three day Bonaroo festival in Tennessee and ending about July 29th. However, we are in dire need of advice of where to go and where to stay. We would like to include a 7 day hiking and camping trip. But we aren't exactly sure which state to do it it. Basically we have a plan to make a plan, but we need all the advice we can get at this point in time. We would like to eventually get to California so routes and everything would be great!

Thanks so much and can't wait to hear some real roadtripper's adivce!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default controling the variables

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Sometimes the biggest challenge when planning a trip is knowing your limitations.

First of all, traveling as a 16 or 17 year old has several challenges. You basically can't say in any motels, and some campgrounds may not even allow you to stay there. There are also several other issues in terms of liability - for example, if you were to get into an accident or even have an illness, you can't authorize your own medical care.

There's also the limitation of time. 20 days sounds like a lot of time, but once you factor in your stops at Bonaroo, and spend some time hiking, your time will go by quickly. Quite frankly, I don't think you really have enough time to go all the way to California and back, and still have time to do the other things you want to do. There's also something to be said about having restraint in planning your first major trip. Doing a smaller, more restrained trip could also simply be more fun than the romantic sounding, but more more labor intensive cross country trip.

Basically at this point, you are making progress, but you're still quite a was from being ready to go. What I would recommend as a first step right now if first figure out what a realistic budget is based on what you can actually save. Then sit down together and figure out where and what you'd most like to do - because that's a question that no one here can answer for you. Once all of you are on the same page, then we'll be in a position to offer some more advice.