Default need help planning trip from LA to Atlanta,GA this Sept.

I'm driving from LA to Atlanta in September. I have 4-5 days to make this trip. Please help me plan this routes day to day. Thanks so much!

Default LA coast to coast road trip

Driving LA to Atlanta this Sept. We have 4-5 days. What are the best routes and stopping points?
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-22-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The most direct route would be I-20/US-78 to Memphis then I-40 all the way to CA. Overnight stops on a 4 day trip could be Little Rock, Amarillo, and Winslow AZ. If you take a 5th day, you'll have more options both in terms of routes and stops.

Joplin MO

Almost exactly what Michael said, except backwards! I-15/I-40/US-78/I-20. Stops in Holbrook AZ, Amarillo TX, and Little Rock AR. This will be driving 10 to 12 hours a day, depending on how many stops you make.

5. Default

We did the opposite: drove from Atlanta to Los Angeles recently and stayed at the exact same places: Little Rock, AR; Amarillo, TX and Holbrook, AZ. I was the sole driver and found the distances definitely doable, but the Little Rock to Amarillo segment felt the longest.

Although you are coming from a different direction, you might get some ideas from my itinerary. Much depends on whether you are early birds or late drivers. After leaving Atlanta, we made a stop in Tupelo, MS and had lunch at Vanelli’s (a relaxing, comfortable restaurant) before continuing to Little Rock where we spent the night. The next morning we drove to Oklahoma City where we visited the Oklahoma History Center museum next to the State Capitol, and had an early dinner in Oklahoma City, before continuing through a beautiful sunset followed by a horrendous hail storm, to Amarillo. From Amarillo we drove through New Mexico, stopping to see Old Town Albuquerque, reaching Holbrook, AZ, at night. From Holbrook, sidetracked by the signs we stopped at the Meteor Crater (original plan was to stop at Walnut Canyon Monument) and then continued to California.

If there are two of you driving you could cover longer distances each day, but I don’t think you’d be able to keep the overnight stays to less than three. It’s best to reserve your hotel room ahead - gives peace of mind if you know exactly where you will be staying.

One thing you want to keep in mind is that you lose hours driving eastwards. An expected arrival at 8 pm becomes 9 pm with the time change!
    Last edited by Gaile Irene; 08-22-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added something

Default THanks for the suggestions

Great help. Thanks so much, everyone.