1. Default What to do leaving Nashville 8/30 and have to be back in Sacramento 9/9 ???

Looking for any suggestions of places to see and direction to go. Right now I know just heading west is a good start.

Tucson, AZ

Default (At Least) Four Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The thing about your trip is that you'll be going right across the heart of America and have at least four choices of routes, each with a different set of attractions. From South to North they are:

1) I-40/30/20/10/5 down through Memphis and Dallas to El Paso, across the southwest through Tucson and Phoenix to the Los Angeles area and up the Central Valley to Sacramento. Optional detours include Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands and the Pacific Coast Highway.

2) I-40/5 through Oklahoma City, Amarillo and Albuquerque and using CA-58 as a connection from Barstow to Bakersfield. Optional detours include Santa Fe, the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.

3) I-24/70 and US-50 through Kansas City and Denver then across the Loneliest Highway in Nevada with optional side trips to Rocky Mountain and Arches National Parks.

4) I-24/70/29/80 through St. Louis, Lincoln, Cheyenne and Salt Lake City with additional possibilities that include parts of the Great River Road, the old Oregon Trail, Dinosaur National Monument and Lake Tahoe.

There are others as well, so at this point the best advice we can give you is to get out a good map or atlas of the US and start looking at routes like those outlined above and see which ones appeal to you. You have plenty of time for this drive. You could easily make it in as little as 4 days, so with 9 you've got lots of time to explore and indulge your wanderlust