Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default PLEASE HELP!! Can I rent a small campervan outside of California??!

Hiya! I really hope someone can give me some pointers! I am a 28 yr old girl from UK travelling from Toronto down the eastern coast using trains and buses and spending christmas in New Orleans. From there I want to go to LA by campervan using the route through El Paso, Albuquerque, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco and Big Sur. I have between 3 and 4 weeks to make the trip from New Orleans. I am having trouble finding any campervan (preferably not big RV) rentals outside of California - I just want a little van - a dodge or something (I'm used to my little vw at home!) that won't cost loads per day. Does anyone have any tips for me??!! I thought it would be easier than this to find a camper...! Is there any way to rent from New Mexico/ Louisiana and drop off in California or am I going to have to buy something? If so, where from?! So many questions!! Thankyou in advance!

Default Search for 'Class B' RV rental.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Euro type Campervans are scarce in the US and as such can be quite costly, if you can find one that is. Use your search engine to find 'class B' RV's which are of a similar size to VW's etc, but even they are not as readily available as the larger 'class C' options.

This is about the best you are going to do. It's a 19 foot "compact" cabover RV based on a fullsize Ford van chassis with a V-8 petrol engine.

As has been mentioned, the type of camper you are looking for is just not that common in the US, even to buy one is somewhat rare.

The worse news that is if you can't rent one, you really can't buy one either. Purchasing any car as a non-resident of the US is virtually impossible, and from a financial perspective it simply wouldn't be cost effective for a month long trip. It would be much cheaper just to rent a car as stay in motels.

5. Default

Thanks for all your replies. After some detailed consideration and research, I've decided I have 2 options. Would you be so kind as to recommend the best?
    1. Take the train from Toronto to New York and rent a camper from there. I can get a small 1992-95 Dodge/Ford for 24 dollars a day plus a one-way fee of 500 bucks, to be dropped off in LA, CA.
    2. Continue with plans to New Orleans via train and bus and then fly to LA, CA. to pick up camper from there. Day rental would be approx. 35 dollars a day but I would lose the one way fee and would also be renting for a shorter period.
    The costings of either are fairly equal since one way I would be skipping out on hostel. motel costs but spending on rental and gas, and the other way I would be paying for travel expenses, accommodation and an extra flight, but saving on van rental...
    It's a tricky one for me! I realise that the first option is an awful lot of driving but I do have about 2 months to get from a to b and see some sights...
    Thanks so much for your input.
    Alice

A 1992 to 1995 van is pretty old.......is this a major company?

Default Yeah, Something's not right here....

Quote Originally Posted by Oodelali View Post
    I can get a small 1992-95 Dodge/Ford for 24 dollars a day plus a one-way fee of 500 bucks, to be dropped off in LA,CA.
    No major or even reputable firm is going to be advertising a rental van that is nearly twenty years old. Where did find this information?

Mark

8. Default

I didn't have to search hard to find the site - that is to say, it's a big firm. The link for the particular van I was looking at is http://www.campertravelusa.com/vehic...ils.asp?vid=72.

I will say that having looked at the website, I will simply tell you proceed with caution. We've had several reports of people finding great deals on a website, making their reservation, putting down a deposit, and then never hear from the rental company again.

There are a number of things which should be causing you to question this deal. First, despire you saying "its a big firm" I've never heard of them before, and while I'm sure some of the other more frequent RVers will also chime in with more specifics, I'm quite certain this is not one of the major RV rental companies.

Some of the other things that should be causing you to ask extra question include: Their "about us" page talks about being based in Australia and helping plan an Australian Holiday, and says nothing about their USA business. There is no information about their actual locations, other than listing cities, so you can't got to a physical location to check them out, you have to deal with them online. The price you're being quoted, of $30 for a van would sound almost "too good to be true" - the fact that its supposedly a 20 year old van does make the price more reasonable, but as had already been said, you need to seriously question any company that says it will rent a 20 year old van because there are a number of issues with that, that would prevent most major/reputable companies from putting someone in a vehicle that old.

Default Agents ?

I have come across campertravels site before when searching around and think they may be legit, but as Michael said check it out carefully.

My take on it is that they are an agent who are punting out other Company's RV's, [I see Cruise America RV's and another Company's van that rents out the brightly coloured class B] and most likely the van you refer to is a private owners RV. That is the only circumstance I can think of where RV's of this age are rented out, and as a private owners rental you would have to wonder what type of back up you would get if you had a mechanical failure or damage that didn't allow you to continue your journey. Sure you might get a part refund, but that won't help when you need another van quickly to continue your journey.

The other thing I noticed is that the van you linked to is a 'Day van' with a bed/mattress put in the back and not an RV. It doesn't have a sink or any type of water or power supply and just has a portable stove. This might not be important to you but just be careful and do your homework to find out what it is you are getting with this rental, what the hidden charges might be and what type of back up service you can expect.