Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help planning Western US road trip

My wife and I are looking at a road trip in late October/November 2010. Initially I was planning on starting from LA or Vegas, with several routes in mind. We are both in our 30's and have not been to the US before. I will be hiring an SUV.

The first is:-
    Las vegas 4-5 nights (inc grand canyon)
    Mammoth Lakes 1 night (via death valley)
    Mariposa 3 nights (yosemite visits)
    Novato 1 night
    Daly City 2-3 nights (visit San Francisco)
    Monterey 1 night
    Then back to vegas over a couple of days staying over in Motel/hotels

The second:-
    Los Angeles 2-3 nights
    Las Vegas 4 nights via death Valley
    Mariposa 3 nights (yosemite)
    Daly City 3 nights
    Monterey 2 nights
    Santa Barbara 1 night
    Los Angeles 1 night

My other option was to incorporate the hoover dam and more of the grand canyon as opposed to SF.

I know the US is one big place, but are the distances planned too great to travel? is it going to be more of a endurance event than a holiday? Should I spend more time in certain places, or are there places to avoid).

If anyone can help with places to see/go/stay on the journey, or even suggestions of any other routes/changes I would be very grateful.

Default Both viable, but.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There really isn't a right or wrong choice, just the one that appeals to you the most.

A couple of pointers at this stage is 1] The Grand canyon is more than a day trip by car from Las Vegas so if you were to start in LA you could head direct to GC and then back to Vegas.

2] Staying in Mammoth lakes could possibly mean a large detour to get into Yosemite as there is a possibility the Tioga pass will close before you travel. This by no means a certainty but is a strong possibility.

You can click on the links in this thread to find out more on previous closing dates.

Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice, I was aware of the Tioga pass issues (thanks google). I think I may well start in LA as it prevents a 6 hour layover in Atlanta waiting to fly to vegas. The route from LA posted by Megan Edwards appeals to me, I'll do some more research on routes to Mariposa and to the grand canyon.

Mariposa is a reasonable place to stay to visit Yosemite, however, it is still a fairly long drive (45min-1hour) to the Valley. If you are planning to visit the park for a few days, you might see how much more it costs to stay right inside of Yosemite to save a little bit of driving.

I'll also mention that there really is no need to rent an SUV unless you really want one, and enjoy paying the premium for it. There is no place on your planned journey where a regular sedan wouldn't work, and with 2 people, I can't imagine that you'd have an excessive amount of cargo.

Clearly you have not been shopping with my wife :) ,
    to be honest the SUV is the same price as any standard sedan with the company i am using.

Default Care to tell ?

Quote Originally Posted by James Ross View Post
    Clearly you have not been shopping with my wife :) ,
    to be honest the SUV is the same price as any standard sedan with the company i am using.
    Interesting, please share ! [A large shopping trolley, understood ! Lol]

On your visit to San Francisco you show Daly City as your stop for 2-3 nights.

If you don’t mind me asking is there a specific reason for staying there, please?

I'm curious too - I think I'd rather stay downtown or out by the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    On your visit to San Francisco you show Daly City as your stop for 2-3 nights.

If you don’t mind me asking is there a specific reason for staying there, please?

The reason I chose Daly City, is that is in close proximity to downtown without the price. The hotel Alpine Inn Suites, was highly rated and well priced in comparison with those downtown. When I was doing some research the Hotels downtown were very expensive in comparison or received very poor feedback.
    The airport seemed a long way from downtown, so i ruled that out.

I'm open to suggestions as this is not a definitive itenary, what i know about where i am going is only from internet research. I always prefer the information to come from those who have physically been there.

I have no doubt on our return to the UK i will be paying excess baggage and attracting HM customs attention : /