1. Default san francisco to san diego via the coast road.

My name is Noreen and i am new to this. We are travelling from ireland in september and want to drive from San Francisco to San Diego via the coast route. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated on route, places to see and places to stay that do not cost a fortune.

I think there's probably information about this specific drive all over the forums here, and I'm sure one of the more experienced posters will point you to it all. In the meantime, I recently drove the Pacific Coast Highway from San Luis Obispo (north of LA) up to San Francisco and I blogged about it. The trip was awesome -- I'm from Pennsylvania and had never been to California before. Below are links to the blog entries that talk about my time there -- you might find the information helpful as you plan. These entries describe the places we visited, where we stayed, where we ate, and what attractions we saw. We're TripAdvisor affiliates, so there are links to a lot of the stuff in the blog that might be helpful to you as you plan your trip -- the links will take you to more detailed information about the hotels, restaurants, etc., on Hope this is useful!

San Luis Obispo, and a drive up through Big Sur to Monterey, where we stayed for the night

Carmel, another visit to Big Sur, and a drive back into Los Padres National Forest where we camped for the night

One last drive up through Big Sur to Carmel & Monterey, then Santa Cruz, then San Francisco where we stayed for 4 nights

San Francisco -- Lombard Street, cable car ride to Union Square, & San Francisco Museum of Modern Art

San Francisco -- Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, & Ghirardelli Square

San Francisco -- Golden Gate Park & California Academy of Sciences

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-19-2010 at 07:28 PM.