Default time for our next adventure

Howdy!
    I'm starting to plan this years fall roadtrip. This will be our summer vacation EVER. I work in the road building industry (35 years), so usually no time off in the summer. Usually we take the Corvette, or fly and drive, but THIS time we're gonna take the motorhome that we just bought. (starting to plan for retirement) Heres the jist of it. Duluth Mn to Glacier NP vis US 2--Glacier down through Yellowstone and into the Tetons NP--through Jackson on to Casper--continue on to Gillette, Custer SD, Rapid City and back to northern Mn via freeway. The first two days and the last two days will probably be 600 miles per, but that will give us 5 days in the mountains. Anyone know of any good stuff happening out that way this fall, or know of any major road closure/detours?
    We're really looking forward to see what the northern part of the country is like in the summer.

Wish us luck!!

Rod & Judy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome!

600 miles a day off the Interstates is driving just a bit too much, I think Duluth to Glacier taking US-2 all the way is more like a 3 day drive. How long, wide, and tall is that RV? You may not be allowed on the Going-to the-Sun road with it - and if it's after September 19, there are planned closures. Yellowstone will also have planned fall closures.

If it's still open, the Beartooth Highway (US-212) out of Yellowstone to I-90 near Billings is well worth it. Driving the SD-240 loop through the Badlands from Wall is also worth it, and don't forget your free glasses of ice water at Wall Drug.

Rapid City to Duluth is only a day and a half via Interstates, and if you really had to push it, it could be done in one very long day. It's about 750 miles.

Default Rod and Judy Ness are RoadTripper Experts

True on all accounts, except that the original poster are experts at speed runs. Have you ever noticed how many Mural and Roadside Wonders are attributed to Rod and Judy Ness? Here's a marvel and here's recent mural.

Mark

Default Whoa! When did you get that RV?

Rod and Judy,

That's a cool looking Class C -- When did you pick that up? It's not like the jeep or the 'vette, you really shouldn't drive more than 450 miles in a RV -- now, I know you can.. some of your recent trips are legendary -- but you can't drive those 'Vette speeds in a RV....

Retirement? It's hard for me to imagine that you'll ever be retired....

Mark

Then a speed run from Rapid City to Duluth on I-90/I-35 should be a piece of cake, even in a RV. However, why do a speed run on US-2?

The reason for the planned speed run on Hwy 2, is because we want to spend as much time as possible in the mountains....something different for us folks from the midwest. The mountains are a little more scenic than the Dakotas. Once we get to Glacier, we're going to
    rent a car for the day for the "Sun" Rd., and the Beartooth is already on out list.

Rod

If you're going to do a psydo speed run, then I wouldn't do US-2, rather I'd take US-210/US-10 to Moorhead, I-94 across ND to Glendive MT then MT-200 across to I-15 and Glacier.

I number of years ago I did that exact route in Reverse on a roadtrip with my friends. We took basically a day and a half, stopping in Bismarck (arriving to set up camp around 10pm) for the night, and arriving in Duluth the next afternoon. I've got to think it would take a bit more time taking than taking US-2, since going via Fargo means you spend much more time on freeways and the mileage is very similar.

However, going back home, I actually would recommend using MN-23 as a shortcut from the SE corner of Minnesota, through St. Cloud, and hitting I-35 south of Duluth. I used to make the trip from Sioux Falls to Duluth a couple times a year, and going this way was always a little faster than going through the cities.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-19-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: highway number correction

Hi Michael!

I dont think it'll be a psyco across Hwy 2....we've been across the Dakotas a few times before, but never on Hwy 2. As always, we will take roads that we've never been on. I think we should make it from Duluth to Glacier in two not TOO terribly long days. I've done Rapid City to Duluth (725 miles) a couple of times straight thru, and made it just fine. Duluth to Williston is only about 600 miles, so it shouldn't be too bad. We usually take Hwy 23 back home when we come from out that way...MUCH nicer drive than the two interstates!!

thanks for the ideas!!

Rod