1. Default 50 State Capital Road Trip Challenge

Greetings, Fellow Travelers...

I have a challenge for you:

Who can come up with the best driving route starting and ending in Omaha, Nebraska that takes in ALL 50 state capital cities, plus Washington, DC?

This includes flying to Honolulu and Juneau.

This route will be driven in June and July 2011 in a 2011 Shelby Mustang.

The winner will receive a token of my appreciation.

Thanks!

Colonel John
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-17-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: New Members may not post off site links

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its not exactly the same because it doesn't start/end in Nebraska, but we did come up with the most efficient way to hit all 48 state capitols as a one way trip.

I'm assuming for the purposes of your trip, "best" is also the shortest route, and I'm guessing you want your flights to AK/HI to start and end at the same place (In other words, you cant cheat the drive from California to Oregon by Flying from Sacramento to Honolulu, and then flying back to Salem to continue the drive?)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its not exactly the same because it doesn't start/end in Nebraska, but we did come up with the most efficient way to hit all 48 state capitols as a one way trip.

I'm assuming for the purposes of your trip, "best" is also the shortest route, and I'm guessing you want your flights to AK/HI to start and end at the same place (In other words, you cant cheat the drive from California to Oregon by Flying from Sacramento to Honolulu, and then flying back to Salem to continue the drive?)
    My plan is to fly from LAX to HNL to SFO. My co-driver would drive the car to San Francisco and meet me there for the drive to Sacramento.

Driving to 48 state capital cities in a linear fashion is a snap compared to a route that has the same start/end city.

I have spreadsheet and will send to whoever wants to take a look at it for comments and suggestions.

Thanks
    Last edited by Colonel John; 08-17-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: grammer

As a matter of policy, New members are not allowed to post off site links - as was noted in your post the first time your link was removed, and is also noted quite clearly when you signed up to participate in this forum. Your decision to create another new post to try to get around those rules and repost your link is a serious violation of this forum's policies, and doing so again will cause you to lose your ability to post.

While we appreciate that your trip may have noble causes, this site is not to be used for advertising or solicitations of donations for any organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel John View Post
    My plan is to fly from LAX to HNL to SFO. My co-driver would drive the car to San Francisco and meet me there for the drive to Sacramento.

Driving to 48 state capital cities in a linear fashion is a snap compared to a route that has the same start/end city.
    Is your LA stop set in stone? I'd really be quite surprised if LA ended up on a most direct route.

Without actually playing with the map, I actually don't think you'd have to make too many changes to a linear route. If you started in Lincoln and continued to loop around the west, then head from Arizona back towards Texas, and just made a few tweeks to the Eastern route you'd likely be pretty close to your shortest route. It is certainly going to increase the miles, but the basics should be fairly similar.

6. Default

I suppose it's because I've spent most of my life out West because I love traveling east to west.

The East Coast has its charms, but there's nothing like following the sun on Route 66.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-17-2010 at 10:22 PM.