1. Default San Franciso to Las Vegas

My friend and I are planning a road trip from SF to LA. Any suggestions about scenic routes and places to see on the way would be much appreciated. Btw our interests are mostly outdoors/adventures..

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

SF to LV is the single most popular route on this forum, with thousands of other posts and threads discussing the wide variety of options, including the Coast, Yosemite, Sequoia, and Death Valley, just to name a few. Before we start offering more suggestions, I'd really encourage you to spend a little bit of time looking around the forum and getting a taste of the background information that's already here.

Once you've done that, we'll be glad to answer any more specific questions you might have.

3. Default

thanks. There was a typo : I meant San Franciso to Los Angeles. Sorry about that.

Green County, Wisconsin

Well, many, if not most of the trip discussions involve travel to all three cities. In any case, there is no shortage of things you could do, and no shortage of threads discussing those possibilities.

The similar threads at the bottom of this page, as well as the Sticky threads in this section of the forum would be an excellent place to start.

South of England.

Default Time.

You also don't mention how long you have dedicated to the trip, which will play a major role in your planning.

6. Default

We have 5 days. thanks.

South of England.

Default Yosemite and ?

This thread should help you decide what you want to do with your time.

With 5 day's and a love of the outdoors I would certainly head to Yosemite, it's one of my [if not the favorite] places I have ever been, it's wonderful with jaw dropping views. You could then head back to the coast and drive down the coast Rd around Big Sur, San Simeon etc or head over the Tioga pass [CA120] and venture across Death valley To Vegas and onto LA, or stay on the Western side of the Sierra mountains and head down to Sequoia and Kings canyon. Do a little research, see what it is that appeals and then we can help piece it together.

If you decide to stay along the coast, and just want quick tips (some of which may be pretty obvious), here were my favorite things from my drive along the west coast a few weeks ago (from San Luis Obispo to SF):

Santa Cruz Boardwalk -- home of the oldest wooden roller coaster on the coast (maybe in the U.S.), and also home of an old-fashioned carousel with metal rings to grab.

Monterey -- check out the sea lions at Fisherman's Wharf there -- much cooler (although less iconic) than the sea lions in SF -- and also the aquarium.

Carmel -- the beach is nice, tons of great shops and restaurants, plus the Hog's Breath Inn (formerly owned by Clint Eastwood) is worth a stop.

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park -- in Big Sur, home of the only waterfall that falls directly into the Pacific. Good hiking around there.

Nepenthe -- in Big Sur, a cool restaurant designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, with great views overlooking the coast.

Nacimiento Road -- if you want to detour off the coast, this narrow, windy road takes you off the beaten path, high up into the mountains and Los Padres National Forest along the coast (above the clouds, which can block the view of the ocean but create some great views on their own) -- the turn is right near the Kirk Creek Campgrounds along the Pacific Coast Highway, south of Nepenthe -- the road ultimately takes you to an Army base, if you stay on it long enough. There are 2 national forest campgrounds along Nacimiento Road, about 11 and 13 miles off the coast. Cheap camping, peaceful surroundings, great hiking. This was probably my favorite part of our trip along the coast.

Hearst Castle -- you can see it high on the mountains from the road, and I'm told it's worth the time to take a tour (we didn't have time on our trip this time). We saw a herd of zebras fenced in a field near the castle too, which seemed kind of random.

Hope some of this is helpful. Enjoy the trip!