Default Road Trip - Camping, etc

Hello,
    My boyfriend and I are full time working college students who need to get the hell out of our town for a little, long, or forever while. What began as just a camping/hiking loop in New England has now turned into a "follow the road where ever it may take you" trip. I'm a free-spirit, love a good risk, and diving into uncertainty but I need some kind of a plan.

We live on the beautiful coast of Rhode Island, and would like to take the cross country and back camping road trip. I have not decided on a route yet because I am having one HELL of a time picking out places for us to camp along the way that aren't at campgrounds. Another problem is because our trip is so late in the 'road trip season' many campgrounds are actually closed (esp in the northern states). We don't have any particular destination, we just want to drive, hike, camp, eat inbetween those things and shower when we can. National Parks and Forests are at the top of our lists, but we're also looking for unique places that aren't tourist traps. Our town is suffocated by yuppies every summer so I'm looking to get AWAY from that scene. If you have any suggestions, helpful advice, and must see, must hike, must camp spots ANYWHERE in the US please post them! Pictures would be amazing too, thank you so much!

:]

Welcome!

Have you looked at camping in the various state parks? You can also research "dispersed" camping on National Forest Service land - that's free, but it's totally primitive and you have to hike/pack in and out.

Default you're looking for what?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGirl View Post
    I have not decided on a route yet because I am having one HELL of a time picking out places for us to camp along the way that aren't at campgrounds. Another problem is because our trip is so late in the 'road trip season' many campgrounds are actually closed (esp in the northern states).
    You're looking for places to camp that aren't in campgrounds? So where are you hoping that you'll be able to camp? There are a few places, like some National Forest lands, where dispersed camping is allowed (pack in/pack out, no facilities) but you do need to know exactly where that is allowed - as even in National Forests where it is allowed there are typically restrictions such as how far away you need to be from a road or river, etc. If you think you're just going to be able to set up a tent anywhere, you are going to run into problems, at a minimum with trespassing laws.

You also didn't say when you are planning to take this trip.

The reality is beyond that, we really can't tell you anything, because with the millions of miles of hiking trails, hundreds of thousands of campgrounds, and infinate number of unique places across the entire US, its just impossible to even start coming up with ideas until you have some idea of where it is you are going.

However, while we simply can't provide much in the way of personalized recommendations without something to go on, this site is packed full of ideas, trip reports, and pictures that can give you some ideas. Once you've looked around a bit and come up with a better idea of what it is you hope to do, then we'll be in a better position to help you put it all together.

If you want to hit Colorado, there are a couple of state parks that off the tourist track and wonderful places to camp. Pearl Lake state park, near Steamboat is beautiful, quiet, and a wonderful place to camp. I am also very fond of Vega State Park, located between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction. It gets busy on the weekends with locals, but during the week is quiet, especially now that school has started. There are also some nice campsites along the Poudre river, in the Roosevelt National Forest. They are very untouristy as well.