1. Default Truck stop motel: Saving the most money on your trip!

Hey fellow travelers... if you are single or traveling with people who like adventure... my biggest advice on saving money is by not paying for your lodging. As long as you've got a car, you've got a constant bed with you the whole time.

I know a lot of people may be turned off by this thought but believe me you will save so much money in the long run so if money is what is holding you back from traveling, try this as an option. All across the country are nice truck stops, Flying J, Travel Authority, places like this... some are so good they will have loungue to relax in, washing machines/driers, every one of them will at least have a shower room (although you gotta pay to use it) etc. Parked full of cars you probably won't run into problems.

For people who think it's dangerous, I think of it this way. If I am asleep in my bed at home and somebody has broken into my place and wants to hurt me, I am pretty much screwed. However, when I sleep in my car I feel way more secure. I sleep in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition. If somebody tries to get in, I'll just turn the engine on and run their ass over! How easy is that?

Well just for anyone who wants to travel but your worry is cost, you won't believe how much this will help. And the best perk ever... no wake up call, no alarm... you'll wake up with the sunrise when the light starts to shine in your car. Hey, I'm a skinny hijab wearing Muslim girl, if I can do it,you can! It's just about having basic common sense and street smart and you'll be allright!

How good a night's sleep can you get in the driver's seat of a car? What about lack of climate control? What you propose is fine done occasionally, but not recommended as a lifestyle unless you have a vehicle that can more resemble a real bed, like a minivan with an air mattress in the back.

TA is Travelcenters of America (formerly Truckstops of America), by the way, not Travel Authority.

You should also not do this without permission and it's courteous to give the establishment some business - buy a shower, a meal, and/or a tank of gas. Ask the attendant where they want you to park.

3. Default

I feel like I upset you here or something and it wasn't my intention to upset anybody... as lifestyles go honestly I spent 6 months straight living out of my car a few years back and that was in a tiny Honda civic and all things considered it wasn't that bad. Ya it got terribly cold but I had no options at that time and I dealt with it. We did this when I was a kid too and even then it wasn't bad but I certainly wouldn't recommend someone sleep in the car when they have a kid with them. But I wasn't recommending this as a lifestyle lol, I was just suggesting it for people who want to go on the road but don't have much money. I'd rather someone be a little daring and deal with sleeping in the car and see them have an adventure then to never leave and just sit and home and wish about going on a trip. Lodging costs are what make traveling impossible for some people and I find a lot of people have just never considered sleeping out of the car so they just never go on their trip thinking it will cost so much. You only have one life to live, don't let money hold you back is all

sorry about not knowing what was TA standing for...

but I don't see what's really the problem of doing it without permission unless it's a small place where there aren't many cars. Most places I sleep at there are obvious parts of the parking lot where cars are parked with maps and other stuff shading the windows and it's obvious people are asleep. I think it's pretty much assumed if you're going to park there all night you plan to buy gas before you leave in the morning... although gas stations don't make their money that way anyhow... if they want me to move my car it's not like I'll argue with them I'll just happily move. If not a gas station there's always 24 hour grocery stores, etc. I guess the other thing about sleeping from the car is you can just pull over and sleep if you need to instead of pushing yourself to get to some motel and causing a wreck because you fall asleep at the wheel

i mean this is only my suggestion from my experiences... I'm not saying there's no downside. I wouldn't do it if I had a lot of money in the bank

but I don't see what's really the problem of doing it without permission
    It's an issue of courtesy. How would you like it if someone came and parked in your driveway overnight without asking you if it was okay? I know, it's not the same, but it's a similar concept. Truckstops and grocery store parking lots are technically private property.

You didn't upset me, but I am simply pointing out the "other side" of the issue. This is a topic that's discussed here frequently.

Default A Question for You

Since you're Canadian and used to traveling cheap, I have a question for you. Many years ago (Let's just say before you were born and leave it at that!) I drove a large chunk of the Trans Canada Highway and was struck by the abundance of overnight parking made available by small towns on that route. The ones I made use of were mostly town parks where one could stay the night for a nominal fee of a few dollars if you were still around in the morning when the local constabulary came by, otherwise they were free. I believe such facilities were signed as 'transient camps'. I was wondering if you were aware of such things and whether they still existed.

Thanks

AZBuck

6. Default

It's an issue of courtesy. How would you like it if someone came and parked in your driveway overnight without asking you if it was okay? I know, it's not the same, but it's a similar concept. Truckstops and grocery store parking lots are technically private property.

You didn't upset me, but I am simply pointing out the "other side" of the issue. This is a topic that's discussed here frequently.
    Hey thanks for the response. I apologize if I read your post the wrong way :D Thanks for pointing out its a courtesy issue because in all honesty I had never thought of it that way. I will keep this in mind from now on!

7. Default

Since you're Canadian and used to traveling cheap, I have a question for you. Many years ago (Let's just say before you were born and leave it at that!) I drove a large chunk of the Trans Canada Highway and was struck by the abundance of overnight parking made available by small towns on that route. The ones I made use of were mostly town parks where one could stay the night for a nominal fee of a few dollars if you were still around in the morning when the local constabulary came by, otherwise they were free. I believe such facilities were signed as 'transient camps'. I was wondering if you were aware of such things and whether they still existed.

Thanks

AZBuck
    Hey AZBuck actually I am not Canadian so I can not help on this issue!! Although this transient camps sounds like a really good thing and I am gonna try and look this up because it would be nice to know for future travels in Canada!