Default Rapid City, SD - Mount Rushmore - Badlands

So this time the question is for me.

Next Saturday me and two friends are heading out on another "speed run" through the midwest states. We are just trying to get to as many states as possible.

Day 5 of the road trip, the 25th, has us starting in Rapid City, heading to Mount Rushmore and going to the Badlands for a quick pass through before heading back towards Winner then south on 183 to Bassett and O'Niell, Nebraska.

Now our original itinerary never had the Badlands and this is a late change.

Would you suggest skipping doing the loop back to I-90, taking SD 44 to US 83 and finally US 20? Or should I do the loop and do the Winner option?

To be specific, we are into the scenery, so if anyone is familiar with this area suggestions will be great.

I have personally only done the loop. The SD-240 loop from Wall and back out to I-90 is the only road that actually goes through the park. If you are in a hurry, just do the loop. Best way to US-20 is actually US-83 from Murdo to Valentine.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I have personally only done the loop. The SD-240 loop from Wall and back out to I-90 is the only road that actually goes through the park. If you are in a hurry, just do the loop. Best way to US-20 is actually US-83 from Murdo to Valentine.
    Inasmuch as I passed through from Murdo to Valentine on US 83 within the last 3 weeks, I can say it's a pretty nice drive. As is the case across much of the High Plains, however, there was some paving going on across much of the first 20 miles south of Murdo. For that matter, there was ongoing road construction/repairs for much of the interval from Rapid City to Murdo along I-90.

Valentine is a neat little town, and going that way, then out US 20 to the east, you get a good look at the Niobrara River's canyon and the Nebraska Sandhills above it.

Foy