Default New Jersey to the Outer Banks w/ a 10 month old

My sister and her husband are planning a vacation to the Outer Banks from North West, New Jersey. I thought I would ask for suggestions since she has a 10 month old baby. They are planning to make the trip over two days. Where should I tell them to make their stop?

Do they want to go down the coast or do they want to go inland? Plan out a route for them, and see what's around the halfway point. If they go down the coast, do they want to take the Cape May ferry, or go to Wilmington then down the Delmarva?

They told me they wanted to go down the Delmarva from Wilmington, DE. I put the half way point about Salisbury, Maryland. I know nothing about Salisbury, though, and with a ten month old they are going to want information. They want to make sure everything is safe and secure. I know it isn't a big city, which is what they are looking for, but does anyone know anything about Salisbury?

Default Salisbury

In many ways Salisbury is the heart of the Delmarva Peninsula. It has a small airport which offers the only scheduled commuter plane service on the peninsula, a University and a minor league baseball team. It also has a thriving downtown area with good walking and restaurants, although my last visit there was probably about 5 years ago or so. More recently it has won a number of awards including designation as an All-American City and one of the Hundred Best Communities for Young People.

AZBuck

Your choices on the Delmarva are somewhat limited. Salisbury is probably the closest thing to a "big city". The other options are Dover (I'd take Salisbury over Dover in a heartbeat) and the various beach towns such as Rehoboth and Ocean City.

Thanks again. I'll send the info.