This is my first post on the website, as the title says it will be my first time in the USA and my frist ever roadtrip.
At the moment there are currently 6 of us interested in going, we are mostly military so our leave periods are almost set in stone, we are looking to arrive on 1st August 2011 and return on 31st August 2011.
We have all agreed that we enjoy the idea of touring in an RV and stopping in campsites etc, we would like to visit some national parks on the way (if anyone has any tips on this please do forward them eg which one, where to hire it from etc, etc).
My main concern is navigating through the country, i would like to be on as scenic route as possible and not confined to a Highway for the duration, however I am aware that there may be restrictions as to where we can drive. This is where I need advice on which are the most viable roads that meet the above criteria. I am also interested in knowing which site is viewed as the best route planner everyone uses? one with estimated milage and timings, gas stations, camp sites etc. (what would be great is for someone to have the route planned for us, but that is asking quite a lot from a forum ;-).)
Also I haven't yet looked at the best places to stop overnight, the best bars to visit (we are mainly in our mid to late 20's), the best food places, the best towns to stop in. I thought I would post as early as this year in order to get everyones opinions and advice.
Below is a list of places/events/points of interest we have already come up with, if these could be incorporated into our route or if you have any advice on suitable roads that go by these places then that would be fantastic.
So starting in Maine and working south.....
- Grand View topless cafe, 1494 N.Belfast avenue, Vassalboro, ME
- Battleships Massechusettes, Five water st, Fall river, MA
- Ghostbusters HQ, 14 av, Moore st., NY (I am aware that taking the RV into NY city will be virtually impossible, what we looked at is staying as close to NY as is possible on a camp site then commuting into NY for a day trip for example.)
- Rocky statue, 2600 Benjamin Franklin parkway, Philadelphia, PA
- Flying Circus Airshow, 5114 Ritchie Road, Beakton, VA
- Hunt Bigfoot with a Redneck, Hwy 130, Natural Bridge, VA
- National D-Day memorial, 3 Overlor Circle, Bedford VA
- Sleep in a Treehouse, 3901 US hwy 82, Brunswick, GA
- Daytona 500 experience, 1801 W. Int. Speedway Blvd, Daytona beach, FL
- Forrest Gump's Shrimp Boat, 1506 E. Buena Vista Drive, Lake Buena Vista, FL (approx location)
- We would also like to visit a bourbon distillery, however I am led to believe these are found closer to the deep south than along our route??????
Ok so a long thread I know, hopefully with your help I can create a good road trip, sorry for so many questions but like I said this is my first time arranging such a trip.
Your help is greatly appreciated.