1. Default La > Denver>Yellowstone - June 2011

Hi All

Next year i have to go to a meeting in Los Angeles for Work, but am taking this opportunity to fulfill a life long dream and visit Yellowstone. My partner and I are planning a 2 week trip and after looking at flights agree that purchasing a one way from LA to Denver (and returning to Denver then onwards to London) seems to offer the best option.

However we are aware of the long drive between Denver and Yellowstone.

1. Dates are: 1st June 2011 > 9/10th June 2011 (Denver is supposed to be worth seeing) (approx 9-10 days)

2. I love scenery and taking photographs. I am also the sole driver so ideally a scenic route would be great. We would plan to drive up in 2 days and drive back 2 days - so stopover suggestions welcome.

3. We had given thought to extending the time and visiting Glacier NP because it looks so, so beautiful - in fact we're wondering whether Glacier would appeal to us more.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved. Thanks in advance. Neil

Welcome!

Denver to Yellowstone is a very easy 2 day drive. With 9 to 10 days, you have plenty of time to enjoy the trip. In fact, you could possibly do Glacier too in that time frame.

My mapping program suggests the most direct route from Denver to Yellowstone would be I-25 north to Casper, US-20 west to Thermopolis, WY-120 to Cody, then US-14 into the park. I'd look at Thermopolis for the overnight, there's a state park there with hot springs.

If you wanted to go to Glacier from Yellowstone, it can be done in one long day via US-89 or US-191 to I-90 to US-93.

Default LA to Denver ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

(Denver is supposed to be worth seeing)
    It will depend on what you are looking for.

I love scenery and taking photographs.
    As well as Glacier and Yellowstone you have Rocky mountain NP on Denver's doorstep, and for me has much more to offer than Denver itself and is worth spending a night [or two] there. Estes park is a good base to visit some of the RMNP lakes along Bear lake Rd and you could head over the highest continuous paved road in America, the Trail ridge Rd to Grand lake. From Granby you could head North on CO 125/ WY 230 to Rawlins on I 80 and then US 287 through the Grand Teton's.

3. We had given thought to extending the time and visiting Glacier NP because it looks so, so beautiful - in fact we're wondering whether Glacier would appeal to us more.
    Quite possibly it will, although you could do both within the time you have, but more time is always good. I know you have mentioned Yellowstone as a "life long dream" but as you are "wondering what will appeal to you the most" I wonder if you have considered what you will be missing by flying from LA to Denver. To list a "few" NP possibilities; Death valley, Grand canyon, Zion, Bryce canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Black canyon, RMNP, plus places such as Monument valley, Colorado NM, Currecanti rec area, not to mention some great driving roads. Just a thought !

4. Default

Hi - thanks for the info. Ironically this year just gone, we did a Las Vegas>Grand Canyon> Monument Valley> Arches>Bryce>Zaion>LV trip and thoroughl;y enjoyed it. Despite just being me doing the driving. I hear Rocky Mountain NP is equally stunning eh? I guess we're stuck with cost of flights. Starting from Denver and doing a loop seemed to be the more straight forward. Just a question -we had thought of Death Valley, JOshua NP, then back up the pacific coast to SF - but love mountains - hence this decision.

Is beginning June a good time for GNP?

You mention rather than staying in Denver staying in Rocky M NP - assume it's within a couple of hours drive?

Thanks both.

June is an excellent time - Trail Ridge Road is *usually* open by Memorial Day and it's before the height of the tourist season. Estes Park is a great place to stay, and you can get there in a couple hours from the airport. I'd probably take the toll road out of the airport to I-25 north to Loveland, then take US-34 up through Big Thompson Canyon. If you go to RMNP and Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, I think you would probably run out of time if you try to do Glacier too. See how it goes - just keep in mind that it would be 2 quite long days on the road driving from sunrise to sunset to get from Glacier to Denver, it's over 1000 miles via I-90 and I-25.

6. Default

Thanks - yes that's a very good point returning. Perhaps GNP could be left for another trip, probably from Calgary. The other option we were looking at was LA>Calgary and then drive Jasper NP, Glacier NP Yellowstone > Denver, So many choices, but think this could be too much in too little time.

Default And some more.

Yes there are many options !

If you decided to do RMNP, Tetons and Yellowstone you could head East towards the Black hills and Mt Rushmore, Custer State park, Wind cave NP and then South through Cheyenne back to Denver creating a nice loop.

The problem with that would be you can't rent a car in Calgary and drop it off in the US. Even a US to US dropoff will add a substantial fee to the rental.