Default Cincinnati, OH to Watertown, CT Help

Hello Everyone. I am going to be traveling from Cincinnati, OH to Watertown, CT (a suburb of Waterbury) at the end of the week. I will have 2 boys with me (ages 7 and 3). I printed out a trip tix from AAA. I am giving myself 3 full days of travel time with 2 overnight stays. Can you give me suggestions of points of interests along the way for small kids, both her are going to be very restless. The way AAA has me going is I-71 N, I-76 which becomes I-80, I-84 east. If you need more details on how AAA is taking me let me know. Also, does anyone know how far of a drive Watertown is from the Atlantic Ocean? I would love to be able to take them there but not sure if I will have the time. Thanks so much!!

Welcome!

I think you mean I-80 to I-81 to I-84?

Even with restless kids, you can very easily make that drive in 2 days. It's only 740 miles, and 3 days would only have you on the road for 4 hours a day plus stops. 2 days would be about 6 hours a day plus stops.

To get to the Atlantic Ocean might be a hassle, but you can get to Long Island Sound in less than an hour, that should be close enough!

Default Two Days is Plenty, Even with Plenty of Stops

The route AAA has given you is quite good, avoiding both toll roads and large cities for the most part. I might think about making a small detour via Dayton and the Air Force Museum if warbirds appeal to your two boys, but in general there is no shortage of good "Let's blow off some steam" stops along the Interstates. Some other interesting stops en route might include Cuyahoga Valley National Park outside Cleveland, the site of the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA and Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area south of the highway near Milford, PA.

I agree with glc that two days would be quite adequate to make this trip, even if you only do 3 two hour drives a day with a couple of stops in between. Halfway would be around Clarion or DuBois in northwestern Pennsylvania.

AZBuck

Thanks for the advice!
    Attached is what my itinerary says. I didn't pay much attention to the time because I figured I may have to make more frequent stops with the little ones. At least my car has a built in DVD player and I am heading to the store tonight to buy some travel games. Are we there yet? LOL

None of this is the PA turnpike is it? I really really prefer to stay off of the turnpike as I hear it's brutal. From what I was looking at I think this route has me going north of the turnpike. But, I want to be sure.
    We don't live too far from the A/F museum. My 7 year old LOVES it. I used to fly (SEL only) so the bug hit my oldest. The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area has peaked my interest I am going to have to look into it more.
    Have you been to Clarion or DuBois. Would you recommend one over the other to stay over night?
    Thanks so much!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default You Should Be Fine on All Counts

The verbal directions you've listed are the explicit turn-by-turn items to follow the general routes that we laid out earlier. Note the number of directions needed for a mapping routine to tell you something as simple as 'take the beltway (I-270) around Columbus to the east and then get back on I-71 north'. This routing does not put you on the Pennsylvania Turnpike anywhere, either on the main section across southern PA or on the northeast extension in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. I have been to Clarion, but did not stay the night there. It is a small college town (Clarion University) and has a quite nice downtown area. Either town should have at least a couple of options for overnight lodging near the Interstate, as will Brookville in between them.

AZBuck

I have stayed in Brookville and DuBois, but not Clarion. All 3 towns have reasonably priced chain hotels near the Interstate.

Thanks! T minus 42 hours and counting...LOL

Hey guys! I am back to ask more questions. I am thinking of detouring on the way back and taking the boys to Cleveland, OH and going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Has anyone been there? If so, is it kid friendly. Also, how about hotels that are nearby an safe? I know I can make it there in one day. If not kid friendly, do you have any other recommendations along the way? I was thinking of driving through the Catskills but my aunt said there wouldn't be too much to see. I am looking for something we could get out and do for a few hours on the way back.
    I made it 7 miles outside of NY on the first leg. I only stopped because it was getting pretty remote in parts. So, I am not reallly worried about stopping and not making it back by Sunday night.
    Thanks so much

Default I Suspect Not

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's target audience is really aging Baby Boomers, rather than 'kids'. I will also note that their website contains the following disclaimer: "The Museum web site is not intended for children under the age of 13..." By its very nature (rebellion = sex, drugs and Rock and Roll) the music celebrated there is not terribly "kid friendly". I've never been to the museum and so do not have first hand knowledge of their displays, but as I say, I suspect that the kids will be disappointed. Two places in or near Cleveland that I know kids love are the Cleveland Museum of Natural History (dinosaurs and 'Lucy') and the aforementioned Cuyahoga Valley National Park (scenic train ride and Junior Ranger program).

I don't know about there being "not too much to see" in the Catskills, It is an area famous more for its rustic charm and small inns than for major 'attractions'. It is also a bit out of your way. If you're looking for some rural roads to add to your drive and have a couple of extra hours for the Watertown to Cleveland leg, then you might want to look at taking US-6 across northern Pennsylvania,

AZBuck