Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to Los Angeles - One/two day in October

Hi guys,

Loving the site. Only came across it today and it will definately be a resouce I use for my aim to do a 3 month trip over the stats in the years to come.

For now, however, I can only afford a week off work! The wife and I (live in London) are planning a trip to Las Vegas in October and we reckon 3 days should be enough there (including a day at grand canyon). We are then planning on driving to LA, and want to know either a really nice one day route or two day route which would lets us see some of the sights.

Hope you all can help

Simon

Default More than a day trip for GC.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You should know that if you are planning to head to GC by car that is more than a day trip, it is 5 hours plus of driving each way. The tours from Vegas often go to the West rim [home of the skywalk] on Indian lands and not to the National park. I would definitely recommend spending a night at the South rim and witness a sunset while being able to get around under your own steam if possible, and to do this you could head there from Vegas and then direct to LA. You would need an early start each day to have quality time at the rim and to make the drive to LA. By taking another overnight stop you could possibly head onto part of route 66 through Seligman to Kingman and again through Oatman to Needles. As you hook up with I 40 again you can head to Amboy/Amboy Rd to Twenty nine palms and into Joshua tree NP. You could choose to stay in Lake Havasu for the night and take a picture of London bridge to show the folks back home it's new location.

3. Default

Dave,

Many thanks for your help. The plan we were going to do for GC involved a flight there so we would be able to spend longer there. Would this make any sense or should we avoid doing this? If we were to avoid this, I think the drive we would do would leave vegas at 8am or so and then go to GC south rim. Spend the afternoon and night there. Then drive in one day to LA. Failing that, we would do the day trip to GC and then a day trip to LA from vegas? Does going through death valley I190 make any sense?

Thanks again

E]
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 08-04-2010 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Removed in line quote

Default Perspective.

The sheer size of the US makes distances look small, but the best way to explain a day trip from Vegas to LA is to think of a day trip from Blackpool to London plus some, and then consider the sheer size of LA makes London look like Brighton, Yikes !

As I said previously I would definitely spend the night at the GC and drive there, but that's me. To be honest if I had a week from Vegas I wouldn't go to LA, we have great City's here but we don't have Grand canyon's and deserts but again that's just me.

Is LA a must, or some place that stood out on the map ? I am not trying to sway you, more to show you options that you might not have considered, like a loop from Vegas to Grand canyon to Bryce canyon to Zionand back to Vegas, or day trips from Vegas to places like Death valley, Valley of fire ?

With just a week and the dream of coming back for an extended stay alive and well, have a sit down and a real think about what it is you want from the trip, don't forget you will need a little time to recover from the flights and get over the lag.

Enjoy the planning and if you have any other questions just ask.

5. Default

Dave,

Many thanks for all of this. The reasoning behind LA is that our flights fly to and from there and we figured it may be best to spend some time there at one end of the stay. Given what you say though, it seems we may be misguided in this! We can just get the cheap flight for $60 from las vegas to LA and travel around las vegas... Or maybe fly one way, drive back the other spending 4 days doing this seeing different things on the way? If we were to do a 4 day trip from GC to LA, what would you suggest seeing?

Simon

Default Different story.

Ah ha ! I thought you was flying into Vegas [having read your thread title] and you was then looking to drive to LA for a day or two and returning to Vegas.

From LA you could drive through Joshua tree NP to Grand canyon but would have to stop on route or you could drive to GC direct same day. Try and catch a sunset, explore a little next morning and head to Vegas. From Vegas you could head through Death valley towards LA and stop the night or go direct.
    That could work like so; LA night 1, near to GC night 2, GC night 3[or near by], Vegas night 4&5, DV on route to LA night 6 and LA. Of course there are many options, including flying and juggling stops and time, day's out from Vegas and so on, that should give you something to work from but for now I would search the forums and open a good map and see how and where you want to spend your time and then we can help you to "fine tune" your trip.

7. Default

Right. Have looked at maps and spoken to the wife...

Fly to vegas for sat eve. Pick up hire car. Get to hotel and sleep.

Sunday – relax by pool in las vegas (if weather allows) – If not then do something else in vegas. Enjoy vegas in the evening.
    Monday – Day trip to Mount Charleston. Enjoy vegas in the evening.
    Tuesday – Leave vegas, go via hoover dam and lake mead to stay near grand canyon for the night.
    Wednesday – Do grand canyon and everything there is to do there.
    Thursday – Leave grand canyon drive to death valley – stay there.
    Friday – Explore death valley in morning – In pm go to Sequoia national park
    Saturday – Look at big trees – Go to airport – Fly home

Is this trying to do much/little? Should I change some of this and am I missing something out?

Flights are not yet booked, so could change to fly to SFO rather than LAX....

Sorry, you're going to have to rework your Sequoia leg. The National Park is fairly close to Death Valley as the crow flies, but its on the opposite side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and their is no pass to drive directly between the two - you have to go around via the Bakersfield area, making it a full day drive between DV and Sequoia National Park.

There is a grove of large trees in the Sequoia National Monument that is a little farther south, and it might be possible, but that would still be stretching things quite a bit if you need to get back to LA (or Vegas or San Francisco) to catch a flight that same day.

Default Getting there !

Sequoia NP is a bit of a stumbling block as it is quite a drive from DV to get around the mountains and I can't see that you have the time, but other than that it is coming together nicely. If you stayed in GC on Tues night you could get a head start to Death valley on Weds afternoon to shorten the onward journey on Thursday[maybe to Kingman?]. I still don't think this would give you time to get to Seqouia NP and catch a flight, but the Seqouia National monument North of Lake Isabella through Kernville to Johnsondale has the little visited "Trail of 100 giants" that would certainly give you a "big tree fix" even though they are not quite as large as in the NP. The drive up the Kern river highway is very scenic as well.

Your flight departure time will have to be taken into consideration, before deciding on where to stop that last night, as you have the urban sprawl of LA to get through and International flight check in times of 3 hours before departure [I think?]

[Basically what Michael said while I was distracted from typing ! lol

10. Default

Ok. What about if we were to change track and not get a big tree fix (save that for a later trip, maybe one that takes in LA and the coast road too) and head to san diego instead. We think that there is little point spending 2 days in LA, but would 2 days in san diego be more like it:

Sunday – relax by pool in las vegas (if weather allows) – If not then do something else in vegas. Enjoy vegas in the evening.
    Monday – Day trip to Mount Charleston. Enjoy vegas in the evening.
    Tuesday – Leave vegas, go via hoover dam and lake mead to stay near grand canyon for the night.
    Wednesday – Do grand canyon and everything there is to do there. LEave for death valley.
    Thursday – Explore death valley. Drive to San diego.
    Friday - See San diego
    Saturday - Drive to LA for flight out at 5pm.