Thread: Jax to San Fran

1. Default Jax to San Fran

My friends and I have blindly decided to take a "pier to pier" roadtrip from Jacksonville, Fl to San Francisco, Ca during our Winter Break. We have absolutely no idea what to expect or how to start planning. We figured we would take I-10 to Arizona and then find a way to go through the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and then to California. We'll fly home from there. We'll have 4-6 adults to rotate through the driving, so with realistic drive time, a couple random stops for gas and food, and a little sight-seeing, how much time should we plan to be gone?

I was also researching renting a one-way large passenger van, but my trip partners are set on getting an RV. However, we know nothing about RV's! Does anyone know the pros and cons of both for a long roadtrip? Do we have to find a place with a RV hook-up (what is that?) to store the thing while we sleep or can we just park at a rest stop? Would braving the weather in December be any safer in a car?

Any help would be great!

Joplin MO

To drive from Jax to SF, fastest way, is 5 days. So - plan on 5 days plus whatever time you want to spend seeing stuff.

You can't just park at a rest stop to sleep for the night. You can park at a Walmart or a truck stop, with permission. Otherwise, you should use campgrounds.

Whatever you rent, there will be a surcharge for every driver under 25, and those under 21 will not be allowed to drive at all.

3. Default Ditto!

Hey there!
    Me and my three friends are doing basically the same trip, but at the end of september. We have 8 days to do the drive with stops. I'm really interested to see what kinds of suggestions everyone has for this route.

The most interesting parts to me so far are:
    - New Orleans
    - Arizona & California (for natural wonder)
    - Texas (for good old fashioned western lore

I'll be sure to report back our findings!