Default Need South Dakota advice...driving west to east rt 212 vs I 90??

We are taking a big road trip in Sept. Flying into Denver, driving to Mt Rushmore and from there driving home to NH, through MN, WI, MI into Canada. We have most of the route planned, but can't get a good feel in SD which is the best way to get from west to east across the state. Any advice would be great.

Default Best is always tricky

Quote Originally Posted by cmoose View Post
    We have most of the route planned, but can't get a good feel in SD which is the best way to get from west to east across the state. Any advice would be great.
    "Best Way" is always problematic around here, because we never know what "best" means? Best views? Best roads for speed? Here are four of the RTA Routes we've published for drives in South Dakota. US-Hwy-212 is not a highway I've spent much time on, but maybe you could share what kinds of road trip experiences you're looking for and we might be able to offer some ideas.

Mark

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Well, obviously, I-90 is the primary highway across the state and it also goes by several top tourist spots like the Badlands, Wall Drug, Corn Palace, and Sioux Falls.

Of course, "best" can mean a whole lot of things, and there are dozens of routes that could work depending upon what "best" means for you.

I'm guessing you're planning to cross into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie? (standard reminder about passports being required and if this is a rental car, making sure your rental contract allows cross border travel) If so, how are you planning to get across MN, WI, and MI - giving us that information and letting us know what kind of time you've got could help us help you figure out what is "best" for your specific situation.