1. Default Safe Route? (New York to San Diego)

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip from NYC to San Diego, CA at the end of August. I have scheduled 8 days to do the trip and I want to drive no more than 8 hours a day. My first question is:

Is this a realistic amount of time? (According to google maps it is, but what do you think?)

Second, I am bit nervous about driving through the desert. My car is in good condition (99 Honda Accord v6) but it has relatively high mileage (130k). My current route is I-80 to I-76 to I-70 to I-15. I particularly concerned about breaking down during the I-70 to I-15 bit through Utah, Nevada and CA.

Should I be concerned about that?

Thanks very much for any advice!

-Charlie

Default 130,000 is high mileage?

Second, I am bit nervous about driving through the desert. My car is in good condition (99 Honda Accord v6) but it has relatively high mileage (130k). My current route is I-80 to I-76 to I-70 to I-15. I particularly concerned about breaking down during the I-70 to I-15 bit through Utah, Nevada and CA.
    Charlie, Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Let's see your Accord is 11 years old and you've only averaged 12,000 miles per year? Most Accords are expected to run in top form until at least 200,000 miles unless they have extra heavy wear. If your car is in good condition, I don't see any reason to be concerned. With the exception of two areas on your route, at any given spot on the route, you'd be less than 10 miles from service areas. The San Rafael Swell in eastern Utah is one of those service-less areas, but it's well-patrolled and one of my favorite Interstate Highway sections in the entire USA. Here's more about this section. You should always carry water and food supplies (MRE's) but there's lots of places to stop and get supplies as you go.
    I am planning a trip from NYC to San Diego, CA at the end of August. I have scheduled 8 days to do the trip and I want to drive no more than 8 hours a day.
    Driving 8 hours per day, you can cover this distance in 6.5 days and so 8 is great. Gives you some time to explore a bit as you go.

Mark

If you would rather not take I-70 and I-15, you can take I-80 to I-76 (OHIO) to I-71 to I-70 to I-44 to I-40 to I-17 to I-10 to AZ-85 to I-8. Drive time will be virtually the same.

4. Default

Thanks for the tips and link!