1. Default New Orleans to Los Angeles

I've got the itch. I want to take a road trip but it is still in the idea-stage and I was hoping this forum could help me out. I'm actually starting in Raleigh, NC but I have friends I want to go visit in New Orleans so by the time I'm leaving NO I will already have been on the road for 2 days (stopping in Atlanta on en route). I'm 22 and will be traveling with a buddy.

I'm not too dead-set on actual destinations, I just want a nice scenic drive if possible. I've been reading about US-10, which seems to be the fastest route, but a lot of people have made it out to be pretty boring. I'd like this leg of the trip out there to take about 5-6 days if possible, I figure that will give enough time to see a few things along the way.

In case my age didn't give it away, this trip will be on a budget (i'm talking motels and camping). I've been to Denver and Seattle but have no other experience west of the Mississippi so I'm open to all suggestions on this trip.

Welcome!

We don't do "boring" here, because something is only boring if you make it so. However, I will say that I-10 through West Texas is pretty "desolate".

With that said, I-10 is the fastest, and just to drive from NO to LA is 3 1/2 days. If you have 5 to 6, you can certainly explore alternates.

Help us help you - what are you and your buddy's particular interests?

Default Take a look.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

A few options along the route would be Carlsbad caverns, White sands NM, Tombstone, Coronado National Forest, Saguaro National park and Joshua tree NP, and that's just along I 10 corridor. You could head up through Roswell [alien town] to Albuquerque on I40 and the Petrified forest and that "hole in the ground" known as the Grand canyon.

As glc noted, you will have to base things on your own interests but "boring" is a state of mind. Time to get the map out and put some dots on it me thinks.

If I-10 doesn't tickle your fancy, you could work your way up to Dallas and Amarillo and take I-40 instead. That would get you real near the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.