1. Default Seattle to New York, please help.

Hi guys, my name is Adam and I'm moving from Seattle to New york for school. I will be driving on 15th of August and I will take between a week to 10 days to get there. I really appreactie your help and suggestion for some interesting places I should stop by. So far I found this places:

Yellowstone
    Blask Hills
    wisconsin dells noah's ark

Anyone have suggestions about other good places to visit or suggested route instead of this one.

Also, anyone wants to join is welcome :) .. the ride is a new mustang.

I really appreciate your help.
    Thanks
    Adam

Default Others to Consider

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well certainly Yellowstone would be on anyone's list of top ten on that route. Wisconsin Dells, not so much. While I love the Dells, when I go I make sure to take a boat journey up the canyons of the Wisconsin River that give the town its name. Other than that, today much of the Dells is a honkey tonk tourist nightmare in the eyes of this traveler. The Black Hills (and Teddy Roosevelt National Park) would be the highlight if you follow the 'shorter' route. using I-94 through North Dakota. But actually the 45 mile longer route staying on I-90 takes you past Little Bighorn Battlefield, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Jewel and Wind Caves, the Badlands, Wall Drug and the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. In Wisconsin, substitute the Circus Museum in Baraboo for the nearby Dells. I'd also suggest using I-39.I-88/I-94 to avoid as much of Chicago's traffic as you can, and then a stop at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore at the southern tip of Lake Michigan, Cuyahoga Valley National Park outside Cleveland, and Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area at the northern tip of New Jersey as you make your way on to New York

AZBuck

I'd also suggest using I-39.I-88/I-94 to avoid as much of Chicago's traffic as you can,
    Not advisable. Take I-90 to Schaumburg, then I-290 south to I-355 south. Take that to the end and get on I-80 east. If you want to completely avoid Chicago, take I-39 all the way to Bloomington-Normal, then I-74 to Indy, then I-70 all the way to the PA Turnpike. At Carlisle, take I-81 to I-78 to NYC.

Default a rare disagreement

I have to say that I actually disagree with Buck on this one, in regards to the Dells.

Don't get me wrong, the Dells is very much filled with the overdeveloped tacky tourist stops but if you look beyond that, there's still a lot of fun to be had there.

I tend to go to Noah's Ark at least once a year, and it is my favorite of the waterparks. The admission price is pretty high (as all of these sorts of parks tend to be) but you can usually find coupons and discounts if you look around. They are also very picnic friendly, having several areas where you can eat your own food. They also don't charge for parking, so if you want to leave for a little while, that's ok too. The other one I will go to from time to time is Mount Olympus, where the waterpark isn't as good, but it does have unlimited go-kart rides and a handful of rollercoasters, as well as indoor parks which are nice when the weather isn't.

There are also lots of scenic stops and places to enjoy - with Lake Delton, Mirror Lake, and the most popular state park in Wisconsin, Devils Lake just down the road. Of course, there are also several very nice boat tours to see the Dells of the Wisconsin River too (my wife recommends the jet boat tour).

And with Indoor Waterparks becoming more popular, its also really grown up as a place where you can find some pretty nice restaurants.

Yes, there are plenty of tacky stops and shops, all which will gladly take your money too, but I generally just avoid them. I generally avoid Downtown Dells altogether, because there really isn't anything there that strikes my interest.

And yes, of course there is the Circus World Museum in Baraboo. Its an ok stop, but its really not on my personal list of favorites, and if I was just passing through for a day, I'd prefer to spend the day at a Waterpark.

Default Why We Hate the Word "Best"

Clearly, my initial response has triggered some alternative opinions, both as to route and things to do. This is why we hate getting short questions such as "What is the best route from A to B?" or "What are the Must-Sees where I'm going. There simply are No Such Things! RoadTrips are inherently personal experiences. All we can do is offer (sometimes competing) suggestions and let you decide what's 'best' for you.

I am not at all miffed at being 'corrected'. glc has demonstrated much better and more current knowledge of Chicago than I have at my disposal, and Michael resides in southern Wisconsin. Weigh those facts in your decisions.

AZBuck

6. Default

I really appreciate you support guys, you really enlightened me. I guess I will be driving cross SD.

Another thing in mind, I just want to spend a day in Yellowstone, meaning enter at 7am and leave at 6 pm. keeping in mind it's 12 hours driving from Seattle, I thought we would sleep a little before yellowstone, then head inside it and spending the day there then leave after the sunset and sleep in any morel in the road. From where, which road, I should take to enter and which one to exit? I know yellowstone is very big but we just have that day and want to see as much as possible.

Thanks a lot again,
    Adam

I'm sorry, but you're clearly using the faulty estimate of an online mapping program to get a 12 hour Seattle to Yellowstone estimate. The reality is that it is 800 miles and you're really looking at a trip that's more likely to take about 15 hours, and really is way too far to be driving in one shot.

Your best bet will likely be to come in from the north via US-89, however for your lodging stops Butte is what we'd recommend. You might be able to push onto Bozeman, however, that is going to be more than 12 hours on the road which is going to really start wearing you out very quickly when you've still got a whole lot of trip in front of you.

Even from Bozeman, you're still going to be a good 2 hours from Yellowstone, which is a huge park with low speed limits throughout. You can enjoy what you can in one day, but I wouldn't expect to make much any progress beyond the park that day. Heading out to Cody is probably about as good as you could expect, even with just a relatively quick tour of the park.

I would highly recommend leaving Yellowstone via the Beartooth Highway, that would be the northeast entrance. There is lodging in Cooke City, which is not far from the entrance.

9. Default

That is very helpful, thank you so much for your suggestion. I cant wait to do this trip.