Default Enjoying one-day route from Boston to NYC

Hello everybody,

My future wife and I are planning our honeymoon visiting Washington, Boston and NYC. Since I'm a big fan of US roadtips, we've decided to hire a car from Boston to NYC instead of travelling by plane. Perhaps it's not a big deal, but we're willing to enjoy this driving day and we'd love to take as much as we can from that journey. We'll be there on mid-late October and we still don't know which routes or ways we should take, so any tip or advice is so wellcome!
    Last edited by borja; 08-02-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Well, I've been investigating a bit through the forum and got a few ideas. We're from Spain, so If don't be surprised if I say something ridiculous.

I've heard that CT-169 is a must during this season. We'd like to see foliage and nice landscapes. We start in Boston, I don't know if it would be better to get to it via I-90 / I-395 or I-95 / I-395 / US-6.

From there, I'm not sure if it's worth to get to CT-15, but that's my idea now. Perhaps getting to Hartford and down from there across I-91 or getting directly to the coast through I-395/I-95.

After CT-15 I've got no idea about how to get best to New York.

Please help!

Joplin MO

I-95 is a highway that you should try to avoid in general. It's not particularly scenic, and between New Haven and NYC it's primarily a very congested freeway going through industrial areas. The only reason to take it would be if you want to see some shore towns on Long Island Sound.

I'd take I-90 (Mass Pike) out of Boston to I-395. Get off at US-44 at Putnam to get over to 169. At Norwich, take CT-2 toward Hartford. At Marlborough, take CT-66 through Portland and Middletown to Meriden, where you can pick up CT-15 and take that all the way to NY. This will put you on the Hutchinson River Parkway, and where you go from there depends on your specific destination.