1. Default Need help planning a 3 week long trip in October 2010

Hi, I'm new to these forums, I just found this site and looks pretty amazing...

Anyway, I'm 22, from Israel and my friend and I are planning on flying over to the US in october for a month long trip. We already decided to stay in NYC for a week, but after that we wanted to rent a car and just drive.
    Our plan was:
    NYC ----- Boston ----- Upstate New York ----- Chicago ----- New Orleans ----- NYC

I was hoping for any kind of advice, we know that there will be days we'll have to drive most of the time, but I was hoping for advice on what roads were best to take and what nice places there are to see.

We want to give a bit more time for Upstate New York, maybe camp a bit, and also a couplee of days in Chicago.

Any help would be great!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

There are some budgetary concerns to address here:

One thing to keep in mind is that there will be additional fees for the rental cars since you are under age 25. This is quite consistent among all the auto rental companies.

It sounds like you will also need to purchase some camping gear, unless you intend to rent camping cabins. Even then, you're generally responsible for your own blankets and pillows.

If you are planning on staying in Boston for awhile, you're not going to want to rent a car as the city has excellent public transportation and driving around the area is best left to those that enjoy sitting in traffic. Of course, if you are going to explore the areas outside of the city, then the car becomes a much more flexible option.

In between New York and Boston are some quite enjoyable seaside communities. If you travel further inland, you'll also find some pleasant country roads, such as those in the Litchfield Hills of Connecticut.

What types of activities and sites interest you the most? From the looks of the areas you've chosen, you seem to enjoy the city life, though that may just be because those are more popularly known locales.

Another thing to keep in mind is that since this is not a solo trip, you and your friend might want to sit down with our RoadTrip Compatibility Quiz.

3. Default Thank you for the quick reply

Thanks for the advice, we were aware of the money issues, but we don't really have much we can do about that. Do you recomend buying a toll-pass of some sort?
    We were planning to stay in Boston for just a couple of days. We are interested in seeing some nice nature and towns and in seeing the locals up close and personal.
    We can probably find our own way around the cities because they are more well know...
    We need advice mainly for the trip from Chicago to New Orleans and then from New Orleans back to NYC.
    And maybe if anyone knows of some nice places in Upstate New York.

Joplin MO

Generally, most cars available for rental in NYC will have an EZ-Pass. The rental company will bill you for its use. If not, you have the option to pay tolls in cash.