1. Default San Antonio, TX to Vancouver, BC. Advice and suggestions.

Hi. I stumbled upon the forums while googling, "trouble crossing border to Canada", and I have to say I'm a bit daunted.

I am a 21-year-old single, caucasian female. I'm driving (in possession of my own vehicle and the registration as well as insurance papers) and planning on visiting friends within the week in Seattle, and then travelling to Vancouver to visit friends I've known for ages. We're planning on attempting the Grouse Grind (eek), and they're showing me around the Vancouver area (Stanley Park, art museum, et cetera). Anyway, I'm staying with her, and bringing my six month old Golden Retriever puppy, since I take her everywhere.

To be blunt, I read a few horror stories here and I do NOT want to be turned back at the border, since I get these two weeks off from work, and I don't want to miss out and have to turn back.

I have a passport, my dog's vaccination records, am planning on printing out my bank statement. What else should I have with me to make crossing an easy and painless experience?

Any help would be great. Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by antitypical; 07-31-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention method of transpor. >.>

Green County, Wisconsin

Default relax

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I really think you are worrying way too much about crossing the border. It is certainly good to be prepared, and have all of the documents you need, most importantly your passport. Bringing your dog will add a slight layer of complications, but as long as you have your paperwork in order there, even that should be relatively painless.

Be polite and patient, answer whatever questions they may have honestly, and it would be very unusual for you to have any problems at all. I've crossed the border dozens of times, and the worst experiences I've had were simply being required to go through a secondary inspection where they've gone through the trunk - and even that was really just a minor annoyance that took a little time.

In my years on this forum, I can only think of one person who has ever complained about not being allowed to cross, and that was someone who was basically living out of their car, had all of their possessions along with them, no job or money, and an healthy sense of entitlement when he was asking to be a guest in a foreign nation.

If you are following the rules, and you've made it clear that you are, then go and focus on enjoying your trip!